my first deal & determining value - Posted by Jerri

Posted by Kevin OK on July 17, 2002 at 12:20:56:

I’m willing to quote two prices…one of course representing a “Discount for Cash”…the other, a bit higher if I carry financing.

If folks are on the phone, I just say “Heck…you need to take a look at it first…you might not even want it!” I don’t negotiate with anyone who hasn’t even been to the place…

When folks ask if I’ll take less for cash, I ask “Do you have it with you?”…then I smile.

But truly, folks who buy used mobles are the same everywhere…terrific.

Kevin in OK

my first deal & determining value - Posted by Jerri

Posted by Jerri on July 16, 2002 at 14:04:14:

This will be my first deal and I want to run what I know buy some professionals. Can someone just give me their opinion?

I have a seller who was asking $7K for his MH. I told him to contact me if he would ever consider $3K-$4k. He said he has 2 potential buyers, but cash talks and would take $4k, but of course I will try to get him to take less.

I do not have a blue book for mobile homes, so determining value is gonna be a bit rough. He says it is a Atlantic Homes-Woodlake. Singlewide 14x66. 3 bdrms/2 baths. I have not seen the home yet, but will tomorrow. I will be purchasing with cash and then turn around carrying paper - hopefully selling to one of the 2 people that are currently looking at it.

The home - according to seller - has been completely remodeled: new floor, doors, tile, walls, countertop, cabinets, painted ceilings and walls, new carpet, new shower liner. Comes with new Frig, Washer, Dryer, and also includes ceiling fans, stove, microwave, heat and AC.

This sounds like a good deal to me without knowing blue book - assuming it looks as good as it sounds.

Any advice? Does anyone know the blue-book value?

Re: my first deal & determining value - Posted by Chuck

Posted by Chuck on July 16, 2002 at 18:39:49:

It’s been said 1000 times easily, I’ll say it again… forget the book.

You want reasons? - Search the archives.

You want logic? - It’s worth whatever you feel comfortable paying for it… less of course, is always better.

If you haven’t figured out how to buy that way, then you haven’t done your homework - refer to DOW.

Re: my first deal & determining value - Posted by Jerri

Posted by Jerri on July 16, 2002 at 19:34:50:

Thanks for responding. I have referred to DOW…I just wanted to know that I was OK. I have read the book, but my husband hasn’t. It’s kind of hard to explain to someone who hasn’t read the book that the blue book value isn’t that important. After all, if I think I can turn around and carry financing with $1k or $2k down - I think LOTS of people will be willing to buy my mobile home as long as the payments are affordable. I don’t think they care nearly as much about the overall cost as they care about if the payments are low enough.

In a nutshell, is that right?

People in Indiana Care about the price - Posted by Gary Baird

Posted by Gary Baird on July 16, 2002 at 23:24:00:

I don’t know if it is just me, but people are completely and totally concerned with price here in Indiana. Almost everyone who calls asks that question first. I try to focus on the downpayments and per month payments, but they almost inevitably come back to, “So how much is it?” Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

Re: my first deal & determining value - Posted by Chuck

Posted by Chuck on July 16, 2002 at 20:12:19:

Exactly right.

Re: People in Indiana Care about the price - Posted by Chuck

Posted by Chuck on July 18, 2002 at 10:18:10:

The “proper” response… is to ask if they’re paying cash.

If the answer is “no”… then focus on the d/p and payments.

If it’s “yes” then quote them one… but leave yourself room to barter.

Re: People in Indiana Care about the price - Posted by Shawn J. Dostie

Posted by Shawn J. Dostie on July 17, 2002 at 20:46:43:

When someone asks how much something is, it is a defensive posture psychologically, sort of a measure of distrust. A couple of effective ways to handle it… Well… I know it’s less than $50,000.00 HA Ha!!, or I just want to get a fast sale and am willing to deal!! then quote a price 2-3 grand high, knowing that they are going to offer less. Sometimes you’ll end up with more than you originally wanted. Everyone thinks that they want the best price. What they are really looking for is a salesperson, someone willing to take the time to structure a solution to their problem.

Good Luck,
Shawn(OH)