Mike and Irene Milin ...? - Posted by Carol

Posted by ronnie on December 28, 1998 at 07:33:48:

I second the motion that the Milin book on property management was a very good book. One line in there changed my landlord life: the concept that if your tenants don’t pay you in a timely fashion, then YOU are the one that did something to make them feel that they could get away with it. They have a no-nonsense policy that is expressed in that book and I’m glad that I own it.

All this aside, I’ve gone elsewhere to purchase courses on creative real estate INVESTMENT and I’m glad I did. Learn from those that DO the investment business, not just make money giving seminars.

Mike and Irene Milin …? - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on December 27, 1998 at 08:51:34:

I remember having seen a reference to these folks about a property management book they wrote.

Apparently they are now out on the circuit (again?) with a seminar about grants, loans, etc.

Thought I’d take a couple of hours next week to go see what they have to say, but would appreciate anyone’s input on their subject.

thanks in advance.
Carol

Re: Mike and Irene Milin …? - Posted by John Estell(Denver)

Posted by John Estell(Denver) on December 27, 1998 at 10:40:09:

I went to one of Mike and Irene’s seminars back in the 1980’s and got fired up by their performances. I don’t like downing anyone but I’d stay away from them and stick with the professional’s recommended from this site. I believe the Milin’s are making their money from seminars. I’d put them in the same bracket as Dave Del Gatto. The only person on TV that’s still there and having success teaching is Carleton Sheets. The others will stick you up. Good Luck.

Re: Mike and Irene Milin …? - Posted by Jimbob

Posted by Jimbob on December 27, 1998 at 09:54:17:

Carol,

I also have their book, it’s probably the best book I have ever read on property management, bar none. I would go to the seminar to learn what you can but be on guard when they give you the pitch to buy anything, especially on government grants. That area is a lot tougher than people make it out to be, it always is when dealing with the feds.

Just fyi, I watched a TV show about 2 years ago when Mike Milin claimed to have owned a Dallas office building and he flipped it for an outrageous profit. The TV’s investigate report team ran a chain of title on the property and Mike never showed up on title as having any interest in the office building. When the camera crew showed up at one of his seminars to confront him on this, he denied an interview but the cameras kept rolling, and he turned and ran down the hallway.

The camera crews chased him down the hall and he was throwing chairs behind him to try and stop them, when they jumped over the chairs and kept persuing him, he started yelling and crying as he was running down the hall. He finally escaped out of a side stage door and made his escape.

It was the funniest thing I had ever seen, I laughed for about two hours after that.

The investigative team fianlly ascertained he never owned nor sold the building as he had claimed. By the way, the jet plane you see on their infomercials? It’s a leased prop, just like McCorkle did.

Jimbob

Re: Mike and Irene Milin …? - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on December 28, 1998 at 10:22:46:

I never saw the show about the Milins. But one thing I do know is that to make money off of property one does not necessarily have to take title to the property. ie, assign the contract.

From your post I would doubt that an assignment was the technique used. From Mr. Milin’s response to the cameras I doubt he made any money from the deal if there was a deal at all.

just my two cents,
Randy