Mentoring Program Who's the best? - Posted by Lane Wallace

Posted by GL(ON) on July 19, 2002 at 08:13:06:

The best mentoring program consists of hooking up with a successful local investor for free.

Is there a real estate investor’s or landlord’s association in your area? That’s a good place to start.

Ask around (real estate agents etc) and find out who are the most successful investors in your area. Call them up and ask questions. Believe it or not, people love to talk about themselves and their activities LOL and to most people, when you start to talk real estate investing, they glaze over and turn off inside 2 minutes.

So don’t be afraid to talk to the experienced people. You will be amazed how helpful and forthcoming they are. One tip. When you call be prepared with one or 2 specific questions or areas you want to ask about. “How do I get rich quick” type questions are a turnoff, people who ask that kind of question are not serious and don’t listen to the answers.

The first time I did this many years ago, I was looking at a property for sale, that had been owned by a local investor a couple of years previously. I called him up and asked if there was anything he could tell me about the place that I should know before I bought it. He spent about an hour on the phone telling me all about it, and many other things, and invited me to his house for further conversations, all for free.

Mentoring Program Who’s the best? - Posted by Lane Wallace

Posted by Lane Wallace on July 19, 2002 at 06:41:04:

I’m looking for a mentoring program that doesn’t cost a fortune and one that actually works to where I can see the results. It seem that everybody wants your money but when it comes to the learning part they leave you hanging…

LANE

Re: Mentoring Program Who’s the best? - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on July 19, 2002 at 11:34:56:

The “learning” part has to come from you.
Authors, mentors, and educators in general can put out the info, share their experience, and provde the steps that “they” have used. But what you get out of it is really up to you.

I buy courses to learn tips and tecniques that may help down the road. Out of 200 pages in a given course, one sentence could save or make you
thousands.

If you don’t like it, get a refund. That’s my philosophy.

Austin

Re: Mentoring Program Who’s the best? - Posted by banks

Posted by banks on July 19, 2002 at 11:31:15:

DO NOT GET A MENTOR!!!Unless you check him out throughly. You need to talk to his referalls and be sure he is doing what he is going to teach you. Know what you want from your mentor. THey are very expensive but a good one would be worth is wheight in gold. I paid $500.00 to a mentor and its a joke. He yells at me for asking questions. What an idiot. Everything he says contrdicts himself. He wants me to do deals offering well above apprasial. I dont know if hes dumb enough to do all his deals that way or hes just trying to get my option money which is what I think. Apparently all he wants to teach me now is how to fill the contracts out. Guess What! I know how to read, I dont need him for that. Oh he also wants to help me negociate. What a genius! 5-10k above appraisal anyone could do deals with offers like that. I’ve confronted him about his lack of help and his methods which there really is no method to what he does and he lashed out with several emails and phone messages. I only said the truth and I have emails from him to back everything up. Keep asking here if anyone has found a good mentor once you get one that a few people have used and are happy with go with that person but until then dont take a chance on someone becasue you will get ripped off! I am very active in trying to find RE I have been for only about a week now that I got him and his negativity out of the way for now.