Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Scott (tx)

Posted by Scott (tx) on June 20, 2000 at 17:50:11:

Stacy,

My local MBE operator stated that unless something changes, the USPS will begin enforcing the rule as of August 26th. She did not give me the # as an option, but did say that different owners will approach it in various ways. Her preference was to be upfront and honest with her customers with respect to the potential issues one may encounter as of the end of August. Not being an expert in the area myself, I didn’t ask about the significance of the August 26th date. If I use her location, it doesn’t seem like another option exists at this point. Personally, I don’t see a big deal with using “PMB” in my address anyways - the average person is not going to even know the meaning of the abbreviation.
I just don’t want any surprises (a.k.a. missing mail) at some point in the near future.

thanks again for the info,
Scott

Scott

Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Scott (tx)

Posted by Scott (tx) on June 20, 2000 at 12:48:42:

I’ve seen some postings here lately regarding the use of MBE as a business address. A lot of back and forth discussion but nobody really answered the question. Can you or can you not use “Suite xxx” in your business address, what are others doing for a business address with your CRE home office?
I’ve used MBE in the past, and it’s really convenient but I’d like to know what some of you more experienced folks are doing.

Many thanks,
Scott (tx)

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Keithk2

Posted by Keithk2 on June 20, 2000 at 17:13:10:

Scott:
Each franchise owner can cover their tail as they see fit but mine has done nothing. I still use “Suite 353” and I’ll continue until:

a) My MBE franchise owner says I have to change it or

b) The USPS tells me I won’t get my mail until I change it.

Neither has happened so far and everyone here seems perfectly content to let sleeping dogs lie.

Hope this helped
Keithk2

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by charley

Posted by charley on June 20, 2000 at 16:21:56:

My MBE is Suite A-5 in the strip center. my Pmb is 357 and i just have it listed as Suite A-5357 and i haven’t had a problem that i know of.

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? Canada… - Posted by The Donald

Posted by The Donald on June 20, 2000 at 15:41:29:

The US regs are so onerous. I prefer not having the privilege of being forced to use a “PMB” designation for such mail here in Canada.

We still use Suite # just fine, thank you! Even better is when you use a service that has a postal code dedicated to it so that even misdirected mails are delivered to the private mailbox office and sorted for you!

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 20, 2000 at 14:41:36:

Go to www.postalwatch.org for specific details on this subject. I use the # sign instead of suite.

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 20, 2000 at 13:58:44:

Scott, the archive search function works really great at this site. Here’s your answer:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/58608.html

Stacy

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Scott (CO)

Posted by Scott (CO) on June 20, 2000 at 12:56:24:

Scott,
I just started posting here, see previous post.

I used to have a MBE mailbox and I used “Suite xxx” in my address with no problem, until I went to renew my contract with them and there was apparently some new federal regulation that all boxes had to have “PMB xxx”
(personal mail box) listed with them. I decided not to renew, there was no point in having it.

I have not heard anything else about this regulation since then. Maybe someone else can shed some more light.
I will soon be looking for a seperate business address as well.

Scott (CO)

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Scott (tx)

Posted by Scott (tx) on June 20, 2000 at 16:05:31:

Stacy,

Thank you for your reply - I know how to use the archive function. I already saw that post. My whole point was that your post did not answer the question, my local MBE affiliate gave me information contrary to what you indicated. Here is the info I have:
As of August 26th, the post office has the right to start refusing all of this type of mail that does NOT have the PMB in the address. Unless of course the Senate takes action on this item, and most MBE franchise operators I have spoken to don’t think this will happen given the amount of time it’s been sitting around.
In fact, my neighborhood MBE refuses to give me the options you stated in your post. My MBE operator said that it’s true, every franchise owner does things slightly differently but she preferred to be completely honest with her customers and has even lost a couple as a result. What may happen with your MBE is (unless something changes) as of August 26th you might begin to have forwarding issues with your mail. Quite frankly, I’m just not wanting to take that risk.

Just want to make sure everyone here has the correct and complete info.

Thanks again for your help,

Scott(tx)

Re: Mailboxes etc. Suite? - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 20, 2000 at 17:30:26:

Scott-

My MBE operator doesn’t profess to understand the issue, he just handed me a paper that had an example of the acceptable formats, including the pound sign (#) instead of the PMB designation. He told me he received the examples from the “corporate office”.

David Alexander, who replied to my original post and who I think owns a MBE, agreed that this is acceptable. I think David lives in Texas, as well. There’s an old news article on postalwatch regarding the acceptance of this proposal by the USPS, and nothing I can find about changing the rules yet again. Are you under the impression that this change to force the PMB designation is coming upon us? Where did you get this information? It’s only a couple of months away, and it seems everyone would need to incur the costs of printing new addresses on all their materials, again, if this is true.

Stacy