Magnetic Signs (do they... - Posted by SusanL.--FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on November 10, 2000 at 07:56:39:

my LIFE might be at stake here. :slight_smile:

It’s for husband’s vehicle…
and ANY scratches on HIS ‘baby’ and I’d probably find myself swinging from the nearest oak tree (or Palm)…whichever was higher. :slight_smile:

Thanx!

Magnetic Signs (do they… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on November 09, 2000 at 14:51:28:

…scratch the car?

Thanx.

Susan

Re: Magnetic Signs (do they… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on November 10, 2000 at 15:30:43:

Susan,
I had magnetic signs on my old car for over a year.
Before I placed them on the car, I simply cleaned the surface well and waxed it twice.
The signs did not leave a mark at all.
I did remove them for the occassional washing of the car and waxing.
Also, make sure that you clean the signs prior to placing them on the car.
Just keep dirt clear from the signs and then if they do move at all on the surface of the car there is no abrasive material to scratch the car with.
When I just sold my old car you could not even tell the sign was ever on it.
And, since my new to me (used car) has a brand new paint job, I did this all over again before sticking the signs to it.
Unfortunately some vandal stole my signs last week, so I need new ones.
And, when you buy signs, make sure the sign maker uses thicker material, this makes them heavier and keeps them from flying off or moving.
I also had my sign maker cut the edges of the sign to a round edge and removed the sharp corners.
I do know someone who did get scratches on there car and when I looked at the signs they had purchased they were made from a thinner magnetic material than mine.
Don’t go cheap, get good quality and you should be fine.
I am also looking into getting some lettering to place on the rear window of my car instead of the magnetic signs, this way it will be inside the car and harder for someone to steal.

Heck, even taping a paper home made sign to the window could work.
That is what is in my wifes car now.

Happy hunting,
Jim IL

Re: Magnetic Signs (do they… - Posted by Glenn Crocker (AL)

Posted by Glenn Crocker (AL) on November 10, 2000 at 10:47:42:

I haven’t noticed any scratches but, mine did leave a slight stain underneath from moisture. I didn’t have any wax on mine, so you may want to consider waxing first.

Not Necessarily… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on November 10, 2000 at 08:19:03:

Susan,
I’ve had mine on my truck for over a year now and have had no problems whatsoever. It may have to do with the material used, but mine don’t blow off and don’t scratch the paint. My sign guy, Alfred, (thread below) does good work and is reasonably priced. I’ve been very pleased with the magnetics.

Re: Magnetic Signs (do they… - Posted by Eric Fl

Posted by Eric Fl on November 09, 2000 at 16:43:31:

I have 3 on my truck and they do nick it up a bit. It’s an old truck so I don’t care but if you have a new car I’d watch out.

Eric Fl

whatever - Posted by RRSmith

Posted by RRSmith on November 09, 2000 at 16:39:22:

risk vs reward
What if they did? What if you car needed a new paint job after a year? Maybe you should balance car scratches against 3 or 4 more deals a year (with the signs).
Some rookies are painting their whole cars (this years model volkswagon) with
I BUY HOUSES 800-XXX-1234 be bold susan, be brave, get the signs!

Re: Magnetic Signs (do they… - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on November 11, 2000 at 22:07:01:

Jim,

Hi! I can relate to having magnetic signs stolen. I had 2 stolen. Ironically enough, not long ago, I was at a gas station & saw a guy who had magnetic signs on his car. Can you believe his signs said the exact same thing as mine. I guarantee you he didn’t come up with it on his own, cuz what I had on there was unique. Anyway,I’m pretty sure it wasn’t him that stole my signs becuase his signs were a lil bigger than mine.

Also, if it’ll help you any, I got my signs from magneticsigns.com & so far haven’t had a lick of trouble with them blowing off.

Keep up your energetic posts.

Vic

They’re new. - Posted by SusanL–FL

Posted by SusanL–FL on November 10, 2000 at 07:58:21:

I’ll weigh the options.

Thanx!