Lost Time - Posted by Rich[FL]

Posted by Brian W (FL) on June 27, 2001 at 09:34:57:

happens to me all the time!

Lost Time - Posted by Rich[FL]

Posted by Rich[FL] on June 27, 2001 at 08:14:29:

For all you procrastinators out there, and others who can’t seem to accomplish anything during the day, I’ve found the problem. Now all we have to do is find the cure! Enjoy!!

==============================

I have recently been diagnosed with the ‘butfirst’ syndrome. You know, it’s when I decide to do the laundry and start down the hall and notice the newspaper on the table … OK, I’m going to do the laundry, ‘butfirst’ I’m going to read the newspaper. Then, I notice the mail on the table…OK I’ll just put the newspaper in the recycle stack, ‘butfirst’ I’ll look through that pile of mail and see if there are any bills to be paid. Yes, now where’s the checkbook?..Oops, there’s the empty glass from yesterday on the coffee table. I’m going to look for that checkbook, ‘butfirst’ I need to put the glass in the sink…I head for the kitchen, look out the window, notice my poor flowers need a drink of water. I put the glass in the sink and darn it! there’s the remote for the TV on the kitchen counter. What’s it doing here? I’ll just put it away, ‘butfirst’ I need to water those plants. I head for the door and Aaaagh! stepped on the cat. Cat needs to be fed. Okay, I’ll put that remote away and water the plants, ‘butfirst’ I need to feed the cat…

End of day: Laundry is not done, newspapers are still on the floor, glass is still in the sink, bills are unpaid, checkbook is still lost, and the cat hid the remote control. When I try to figure out how come nothing got done all day, I’m baffled because I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY!! I realize this condition is serious and I will get help, ‘butfirst’ I think I’ll check my E-MAIL.

Re: Lost Time - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 28, 2001 at 10:31:40:

JT said it. Make a to do list every night for the next day. Put on the list 1. All the things that must be accomplished and 2. All the things that you would like to get accomplished if you can fit it in. A good appointment book or Franklin Planner will help you out.

Make a List… - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on June 27, 2001 at 20:32:02:

and don’t stop until the list is scratched off completely. I find myself drifting away from using a list, then I notice that I am not getting near as much accomplished; then back to the list.

You must resolve that you want to change this behavior and stick to making and accomplishing the list. This may be a new habit that you will be attempting to form, so it will take 3 or 4 weeks to get it into routine production. Once you have it down, it relieves you from the anxiety that you are now dealing with, in NOT getting anything done. I’ve been there, and I know the frustration.

Also, try the One Minute Manager… Comes in short cassette tape, at Staples and such.

JT - IN

Re: Lost Time - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on June 27, 2001 at 15:53:07:

Rich (FL)

I think I’ve got the answer for you.

opps, be right back

Ron

Re: Lost Time - Posted by Valerie

Posted by Valerie on June 27, 2001 at 10:48:15:

Rich -
When you find the solution, please post it on the board. I think too many of us suffer from ‘butfirst’ syndrome. I have had it all my life!

Thanks for the laugh… I really needed it today!

Valerie