LLC Resident Agent ? - Posted by Tony Newbie

Posted by pjs on January 12, 2006 at 13:27:55:

Essentially it is to protect your privacy. They don’t provide much except a
name & address that is not your own.

LLC Resident Agent ? - Posted by Tony Newbie

Posted by Tony Newbie on January 12, 2006 at 13:18:51:

Hi Friends,

I am in the process of owning 3 rental properties and I was informed from my loan officer, that it would be best to get an LLC to protect my assests. The LLC would cost me a 100.00 from my state, which is in Md, just to start out with. As I was filling out the LLC form, a question came up regarding a " LLC resident agent address". My L.O informed me that it would not be wise to use my home address as a resident agent address, therefore, she directed me to a company that could be my “resident agent” for a 100.00 a year. I asked, what would be included with that purchase? I was told just the name to pay every year for protection, and was given the website address. I don’t beleive in paying something for nothing. Would someone kindly inform me what a LLC resident agent is and it’s responsebility?

Thank You,
Confuse LLC, Tony

Re: LLC Resident Agent ? - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on January 13, 2006 at 10:45:51:

Every state in which your LLC “does business”, including operating rentals, requires the appointment of a RA in that state…and that RA must have a permanent address IN that state wherein he/she/it can be served with legal process if the LLC were to be sued.

Re: LLC Resident Agent ? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on January 12, 2006 at 15:44:54:

Tony,

The Resident Agent is where papers would be served if someone were to sue you. Any sort of legal or even tax papers could be sent to that person.

By the way, don’t take legal advice from your loan officer. They probably mean well, but may send you down the wrong path.

–Natalie

Re: LLC Resident Agent ? - Posted by TomC (Md)

Posted by TomC (Md) on January 12, 2006 at 14:46:03:

I don’t think you should pay for a resident agent. Trust me, it won’t make you “invisible”, thanks to the Internet and Google, etc…you will show up sooner or later.

Also, be aware that the annual fee for LLC’s is now $300 in MD.

TomC