Letters to owners of boarded up properties... - Posted by Fran

Posted by Joe Kaiser on November 28, 1998 at 24:20:36:

Good timing . . . I just sent JP the draft of my new course about pursuing abandoned properties.

I have a couple different approaches I use, the difference being whether or not the owners are still in the area.

Bill commented earlier about “good” letters, the idea being it’s not so much what you say but how often. That’s solid advise. Just so you know, that first letter may not be enough . . .

Joe

Letters to owners of boarded up properties… - Posted by Fran

Posted by Fran on November 27, 1998 at 23:01:51:

I’m just curious as to what you folks are using in your pitch letters to owners of “dog” properties.

Here’s the 411 on a specific property I saw:
I was taking a different route home from work today, and found a not-so-nice home in a nice neighborhood. I saw boarded up windows on the south side of this house. I made a U-turn, and drove up the driveway, and saw (to my surprise) new siding, some new windows (3/4 of them weren’t boarded up as I saw later, only the ones on the south and west side of the house), and a large sliding glass door on the east side of the house with no boarding (or curtains). I looked inside and saw a very nice house, could probably use some updates in the kitchen, and maybe paint and carpet, but no major things like holes in the walls or fire damage.

Anyway, I traced the address and phone number using the reverse directory and is listed under three names…Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and a Barbara J. Smith. It sounds to me like parents in a home or in Florida type of thing…can’t keep up with payments or won’t rent or something (I won’t know 'til I talk with them, obviously).

What do you think a good solid approach in a letter would be??
Just looking for opinions…

Thanks, kids…

Re: Letters to owners of boarded up properties… - Posted by hk CA

Posted by hk CA on November 28, 1998 at 12:45:56:

Before you go to too much trouble, ask the neighbors if they know what’s going on.

Re: Letters to owners of boarded up properties… - Posted by DJ

Posted by DJ on November 28, 1998 at 12:19:21:

Sounds like some was (or is) in the process of fixing it up! May just have windows boarded up until they have time to install new ones! Then again, they could have run out of money! If you don’t get a reply from your letter, keep an eye on the house to see if you can catch someone working on it! (Evenings & weekends
especially)! Chances are they will be able to give you the low-down on what’s up! As far as structuring a good letter, just tell them the truth about your intentions! The other alternative is, BUY JOE’S Course!
Good Luck!
DJ