Lessons From Geese - Posted by DJ

Posted by Redline on January 04, 1999 at 12:54:46:

(Sorry, I couldn’t help it!)

Interesting article on the geese. I’ve always thought that was a cool thing to see and now it makes more sense. The geese are “drafting” like in Nascar! :wink:

RL

Lessons From Geese - Posted by DJ

Posted by DJ on January 03, 1999 at 20:15:19:

Next fall when you see geese heading South for the winter, flying along in a “V” formation, you might be interested in knowing what science has discovered about why they fly that way.
It has been learned that as each bird flaps it’s wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock adds atleast 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own. People who share a common direction and a sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistence of trying to go it alone, and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front. If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are going.

When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back into the wings and another goose flys point. It pays to take turns doing hard jobs-with people at work or with geese flying South. The geese honk from behind to encourage those upfront to keep up their speed. Make sure your honking from behind is for encouragement, not for something else!

The world has recovered from the Holidays, and by all means should get back to normal this week. If we can get this site back to what it is designed for, and cut out all of the childish BS and slandering of others, maybe we can all have a prosperous year. The question to ask is:
Do We Have As Much Sense As The Geese?
DJ

If you’re not the lead dog … - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on January 03, 1999 at 21:15:47:

then the view is always the same.

I appreciate what you are saying. We can acheive more by aligning ourselves with a master mind group, but BE CAREFUL. A lot of so-called groups that I have met are for the express purpose of keeping each other in that V formation. In groups, there are dynamics at work that prevent one from doing ones best. Like any organization, we become concerned with keeping things on line and we sometimes lack the independant and courageous thought of the person that goes it alone.
I was part of a very committed group for 2 years and I learned a lot. Finally, I left the group and I quadrupled my business and acheived so much more without the so-called “support” of a group - lots of times it an excuse to be average and not try as hard as you might if you were on your own. Its OK for awhile, but don’t let it take your focus off YOUR GOALS. Remember, you alone are responsible for you.

Re: If you’re not the lead dog … - Posted by DJ

Posted by DJ on January 04, 1999 at 09:24:38:

John,
I also appreciate what you’re saying! I realize that not all groups are particularly the best to be associated with. #1 being MLM groups. The meaning of the post was in context as it pertains to this site! Most people who visit this site are seeking advice. I feel that most of the posts, especially those made by the seasoned investors who frequent this site, can be very helpful to those new to investing! Even the old dogs can learn some new tricks! Since no one who posts here expects any monetary return for their advice, I think it’s safe to assume that no one here would knowingly steer someone in the wrong direction.
We all share a common goal, to get to where we are going as we have set forth in our goals. You are right, only you can control your destiny, and the direction of your career, whatever it may be. But,as
with the geese, it never hurts to have a little help from a group heading in the same direction!
DJ