Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by Tyrone

Posted by Rob Ricker on January 23, 2005 at 23:56:10:

David,
I see your point now that you explained it, and I do agree with your statement “if you have to ask, you’re not ready to go out there” … that’s a good point. I guess dealing with mortgage customers and tenant buyers all day has made me more patient with silly questions than the average bear (and I now realize how silly Tyrone’s question was). I don’t ever remember asking those type of questions before I went out. I just knew that I had to get out there and MAKE things happen. While my “polite” way of dealing with Tyrone may do a better job at making friends and keep me from making quick judgements on people, I really can see the effectiveness of your answer. Tyrone can now make a choice to be a DOER or a TALKER. The only people who succeed in this business are DOERS. It’s all up to Tyrone (and us). As Nike says … JUST DO IT TYRONE!

Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by Tyrone

Posted by Tyrone on January 19, 2005 at 23:18:17:

Im curious what would is best day(s) to go door to door to homeowners in foreclosure? Thanks in advance!

Re: Knocking - Posted by Nike

Posted by Nike on January 21, 2005 at 12:55:06:

Tyrone,

Forget LA Davey–consider taking your foreclosure list and picking 2-3 areas (by zip code) that have the most foreclosures (and an area(s) you’re comfortable working)and place signs throughout the area. You will get calls. Call others signs and ask them to put you on their buyers list–they will call too.

This will save you time—if you have the time start knocking after you’ve handled a few calls—run some comps and really know market values. Good luck

Re: Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by David (Los Angeles)

Posted by David (Los Angeles) on January 20, 2005 at 07:08:35:

The people who have the best results door knocking foreclosures do it 7 days a week. If you’re lazy (and it seems like you might be), people tend to be home more on Sunday than any other day, and they like to sleep late on that day. So get up around noon on Sunday, knock on a couple of doors, and hope for the best. You probably won’t do as well as the people who are practicing 7 days a week and tracking what times they’re finding people at home, but you don’t really expect to, do you?

Re: Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by Clint

Posted by Clint on January 20, 2005 at 08:45:47:

David,

I love your forgone preconclusive evidence that Tyrone is lazy. He asked a question, and didn’t ask for someone to make a smart alec comment. He asked if it works. It is either or yes or no answer.

Tyrone,

Yes it works for some people, but you will have a lot of doors slammed in your face.

Good luck,

Clint

Posted by David (Los Angeles) on January 21, 2005 at 11:24:13:

Clint, he actually asked two questions, and it’s the second one (“What days are best?”) that led me to conclude that he might not have a lot of drive and initiative. People are more likely to be home on the weekend, and are less likely to be shopping and running errands on Sunday than Saturday. On the other hand, a lot of doors get opened during the week too, if you’re out there knocking on them. The “best” day is today, because you don’t have to wait for it, and you’ll get valuable feedback on YOUR market and YOUR negotiating skills that you’ll never get from the answer to a question on an internet site.

And it’s not a “yes or no” answer, which is why you hedged your own reply. Knocking on doors MAY get the door opened IF the owner is home, but whether it “works” or not depends on how skillful you are at talking with the homeowners, getting them to trust you, knowing how to structure a deal, and following through on your commitments. To some extent, it also depends on the market you’re in, and the only way to really know if it “works” for you in your market is to go out and pound the pavement, adjusting your approach in response to the feedback you get, and persevering.

Obviously, as you say, it works for some people. I doubt it will work for Tyrone. Anyone who reacts to my advice with “go pound your head on a rock” is probably too hotheaded to gain the trust of a homeowner in foreclosure on their front porch. I don’t think he’s serious about knocking on doors. I don’t think he’ll even knock on one, much less keep going through the 20 or 50 or 100 it may take to get a deal. If he reacts to my skepticism so childishly, how do you think he’s ever going to be able to deal with a dozen homeowners who tell him to hit the road?

Re: Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by Tyrone

Posted by Tyrone on January 20, 2005 at 11:57:31:

Thanks Clint.

And as for you David go pound your head on a rock you jerk!!!

David, what are you talking about??? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on January 24, 2005 at 22:28:24:

David, you assumed alot by one little question (“What days are best?”) Could it be that he has to spend time with his family and therefore only has time to knock on doors 1 or 2 days a week? Could it be that he gets to choose what 2 days he has off at his 9 to 5 and therefore wants to schedule them around his REI door knocking? Could it be that he does this part time (as I’m sure you have once)and can’t afford to do this “7 days a week” like the (alleged) pros?

So you make tha assumption based on a 4 word question, he tells you to “pound your head on a rock” (he could have said much worse), and that leads you to make MORE aasumptions? NOW he’s hot headed, not serious about door knocking, and probably won’t knock on one door??? Why do newbies even come here for advice?

Your explanation to Rob and Clint MAY explain his naivete (again, he’s a newbie so it’s expected) but WHERE IN THE WORLD did you get that he was lazy???

Re: Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by Rob Ricker

Posted by Rob Ricker on January 21, 2005 at 19:19:30:

David,
Do you talk to sellers the same way you did Tyrone? I hope not, becuase you would still be looking for your first house if you did. You ass-u-me alot from Tyrone’s first post. He may work 6 days a week at a regular job and want to know what day he should ask off to knock on doors. I don’t concur.

Re: Knocking on doors!! Does it really work? - Posted by Clint

Posted by Clint on January 21, 2005 at 11:45:52:

David,

I concur.

Posted by David (Los Angeles) on January 22, 2005 at 24:34:22:

Rob,
No, I don’t talk to sellers the same way I did to Tyrone. Do you think there’s a “best” day to knock on doors for people in foreclosure? If you do, then why haven’t you posted it?

To me, if you have to ask, you’re not ready to go out there. I said the best day is “today”, and I stand by that answer. I said you’re more likely to find people home on Sunday, and I stand by that too. The problem with Sunday is that often the kids are home too, and both you and their parents might be a little more than merely uncomfortable having that discussion on the porch with little Jane hanging on to one of Mommy’s knees and little Johnny hanging on to the other. So maybe you’d have better results going out on a day when you’d have fewer people answering their doors, but better conversations when they did. Maybe the guy you’re about to door knock also works 6 days a week, and only gets off the same day as you, so all the laz^h^h^hefficient investors who only go out on the “best” day have already beaten you to all the deals except his.

I don’t apologize for talking to Tyrone the way I did. Either I’m right, and the closest he’ll ever come to knocking on anyone’s door is posting a question on the internet, or I’m wrong, and he’ll knock on 100 doors and get 4 deals just so he can come back here and rub my nose in it. Doesn’t really matter to me either way; I’ve been wrong before, but not as often as I’ve been right.