Just Can't Find Properties in This Market! - Posted by Bill Gatten

Re: Share your info with the group - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on October 31, 2000 at 08:44:41:

Actually, I don’t think I am missing the point. The point is that if you tell someone 10% down, they know how much that is (in dollars). If you tell someone 10% closing costs, they know how much that is (in dollars). But if you tell them 3 payments plus closing costs they do NOT know how much it is (even if they know what the monthly payment is) because you don’t disclose the closing costs.
The strangest part about this is that it is actually WORSE for someone who knows about reale estate because no one person who has purchased real estate would expect to pay 6% in closing costs when no institutional lender is involved. In that case, let’s be diplomatic and say they would have some sticker shock.

Mark

Yup. Missing the point. Yup Yup - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on October 31, 2000 at 18:43:32:

Mark!

I don’t want them know the numbers! I just want them to call, so I can interview them and determine what the numbers ought? a be relative to their particular situation. If I’m charging too much (for their pokka book), they’ll tell me and I can find out what they can afford and go get a property to match their needs and “want-to factor.” If I’m charging too little, I’ll find that out too…when I ask them the qualifying questions (Can you afford it? How’s your credit? Any liens or other “stuff” we need to know about? Oh well…that’s not bad enough that an extra payment or two in the Contingency Fund wouldn’t fix it…no more cash? Well, we can build the contingency over time with a bit higher monthly payment).

A house Steve Love(a regular here on CRE) and I are advertising now: $224K Value; $1,990 total (PITI, Trustee Fee and our $100 pos. cash flow); we have $40K equity in it.

My current ad says…

WHY RENT?
ENJOY THE BENEFITS
OF HOMEOWNERSHIP
NO BANK QUAL
NO DOWN PMT
At little as 3 Pmts & Cl.
Costs moves you in. $224K
3+2 w/FP, FR, 2CG, fenced,
Great area. Only $1,650
p/mo +tx and ins.

Now, here’s your ad on the same property

WHY RENT?
ENJOY THE BENEFITS
OF HOME OWNERSHIP
NO BANK QUAL
NO DOWN PAYMENT
$10K moves you in
$224K 3+2 w./FP, FR,
2cg. only $1990 p.mo.

Seriously, Mark, which ad do you think will get the most calls and the most prospects for the next house or condo I buy? Or which will get the most prospects for the next house I go looking for, because they are willing to pay me to do it (I charge a minimum of $1,000 to actively seek a property I can buy and make them my partner in)?

C’mon Mark. You gotta give-in somewhere here. This is just waaay too cool and easy a way to make a living. In the last four days, I’ve made offers on four properties, and none of them will be a problem due to some of these marketing strategies.

BTW: Thanks for coming to my aid over there on the “evil site (ours)” with that assertive lady :slight_smile: . Though she turned out to be kind?a nice after the smoke cleared.

BTW…the closing costs are not 6% ! The $10K we want is broken down this way:

3 pmts of 1,990 each - 5,970
1st payment on contract - 1,990
Clos. costs - 2,040

Of the above – I agree with the prospect to convert their investment into a down payment (if they wish), whereupon I pay the closing costs myself (just one pmt, not 3). My discounted cl. costs turn out to be about $1,000 – into our little pockys. $5,000.

Why so little on this one? Because the property is hard to market and we want to keep 50% of the future appreciation and loan principal reduction: but we got it for $180K and would list for $225 easy (good equity…but high payments).

Bill

Re: Share your info with the group - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on October 31, 2000 at 10:11:24:

How many retail buyers do you usually sell to on terms that have purchased real estate before? Any potential buyers I have had never purchased real estate before and most of them don’t even have a clue as to how to go about it. The only thing they know or “think” they know, is that they can’t get a conventional loan. The only thing they care about the most is, how much down to get in and how much per month!

I mean, come on Mark, are you really going to be concerned about how you choose to word your advertising to sell to a retail buyer because one of them might have a little knowledge with previous experience in buying real estate??? Chances are if they have any previous knowledge in costs involved, they won’t be the one you will end up selling to anyway. Let me talk to the other 100 buyers in line begging to get in and have the opportunity to own a home!