Judge states I'm practicing law..... - Posted by Lisa in VA

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on December 02, 2002 at 06:50:14:

That’s a state by state issue. In many states, if the property is not in your name, you need a lawyer to do an eviction. Check and see how properties in living trusts are treated in your state…they are the most likely “entity” to get lenient treatment from a judge, and the sort of “entity” against which I’d try to compare the PAC Trust. If it doesn’t fly, representing yourself will not be an option…given that the judge has already formed an opinion on the issue, arguing to the contrary will mean swimming against the current.

John Hyre

Judge states I’m practicing law… - Posted by Lisa in VA

Posted by Lisa in VA on December 02, 2002 at 24:11:11:

Can anyone point me to the legal language which allows beneficiaries to represent the Trust in landlord/tenant issues?

I am taking a tenant to court for an expired lease. The tenant requested a trial date. The judge has ordered me to appear with an attorney because the property is in a Land Trust. I tried explaining a land trust (to my knowledge…never read it) was beneficiary directed; however, that didn’t fly over too well.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to represent myself in this matter.

Re: Judge states I’m practicing law… - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on December 02, 2002 at 09:14:17:

I’m not an attorney. So I apologize in advance. This may not be a good idea for you. But, in similar situations I have executed a Deed from the entity to myself individually. I filed the Deed with the court, but did not record the Deed (hence no one but the judge ever new about the transfer). Problem solved.