Is anyone doing MH deals in Illinois? - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on October 28, 1998 at 07:39:38:

Thanks for the help. I’ve already talked to the IL Manufactued Housing Assoc. It seems that only one person in that organization knows the answer too. I haven’t been able to reach him by phone yet. I’ll keep trying.

Thanks Again.

Is anyone doing MH deals in Illinois? - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on October 27, 1998 at 10:50:48:

Thanks everyone for your responses to my original post below. I have updates for you.

I recieved my package of info from the Sec. of State Office about MH dealer licensing. All of the information in the package involves “vehicles” I don’t believe I have ever seen anyone drive a house.

Illinois requires:
an office which is immoveable. Not a mobile trailer.
Utilities attached including a phone
Maintain a lot for display of rock or better material
Hours of business of 4 consecutive hours in 5 of 7 days
All necessary office equipment for business.
An employee present during business hours
Place of business must be separate from other businesses
Plus a half dozen other minor requirements (name, hours, etc.)

So with that said, How does those rules apply to Lonnie Deals. No inventory, so no lot. Quick flip deals so no employee. No traditional retail sales so no regular business hours. I don’t need dealer plates because any moving is subcontracted.

I posed these questions to the Secretary of State’s office. One person said I can do 4 deals without a license. Another said only 5. They even suggested that I should not have a dealers license but a real estate sales license. I know I don’t need an RE license to buy and sell my own property. They then suggested that I call the IL Manufactured Housing Assoc. That’s interesting, the regulatory government agency doesn’t have an answer but a private industry action group might have answers?

I guess if the people in charge of the license don’t know, then why bother with a license?

Re: Is anyone doing MH deals in Illinois? - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on October 28, 1998 at 03:24:42:

Randy, I’m out in CA and if it’s consilation I’m having simular opinions out here. I recieved the CA “dealer” package, and man is it involved with a lot of BS. Fingerprints, this and that. What a pain!
Anyhow in Illinois these numbers may help:
Illinoise Manufactured Housing Association
3888 Peoria RD
Springfeild IL 620702
(217) 528-3423

Illinois Housing Institute
235 N. Country Club Rd.
Decatur IL 62521
(217) 428-7037

(Source: Lonnie Scruggs D.O.W. workshop booklet)