Investor Idea of the Week - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Point of View on June 24, 2001 at 13:12:55:

Thank you, I was hoping someone would say something. I don’t know who Tim Jensen is, or what his credentials are. The fact that he posts his opinion on some topic once a week and brands it “Investor Idea of the Week” doesn’t make him a marketing genius, in MY opinion. It just make him like to see his name in print.

Investor Idea of the Week - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on June 23, 2001 at 23:03:09:

The topic I would like to discuss this week is business cards. In the past, there has been a lot of talk on here regarding the best kind of business cards. There are so many choices: color, two-sided, tent-shaped, tri-fold, oversized, simple, complex and homemade to name a few. I think that people put too much emphasis on their business cards. I saw a lot of business cards at this years convention. There were a couple of neat cards, but none impressed me enough to do business with them based on their business cards alone. My point is: A business cards should NOT be a selling tool, but a way someone can get a hold of you.

Here is my opinion of a good business card. I think that you should have a business card that tells the person, what you do, your company name, phone number, your name and fax number or website address period. I think that it should be a simple layout, cluttering your card with a bunch of information is not pleasing to the eye and someone will be less likely to read it. Colored paper is another thing that I think is pretty much worthless. Now, a different shade is okay, but come on a bright orange or yellow card is tacky. Now a colored text business card is fine (what I mean is the text has two colors). I think that a small logo is alright too, just make sure that it is related to the real estate industry. A palm tree on a real estate investors card just doesn?t look right. I have seen a lot of business cards with the person?s picture on it. Once again, I do not recommend this, unless of course you are real pretty and use a high quality photo. There is a mortgage broker in my area that uses his picture, he is a real nice guy, but his picture makes him look like unfriendly. So, I would pass on the picture if I were you. Finally, you have choice of having your card printed, printing them on your computer and free internet business cards. Computer generated card and free business cards on the internet are real bad. Who wants to do business with someone too cheap to pay for their own business cards. I sure don?t!

In closing, I hope that you have a better understanding of what makes a acceptable business card. I happen to get my business cards at Office Depot for $10.00 per 1,000. They are all white with black text, no logo or color. The lay-out is simple and easy to read. It says: WE BUY HOMES and has my name, company name, address, phone number and website. I have had no complaints as of yet and the people I give my business card to do call me. The only thing that I would change on my next order of cards is to put a small logo on there. I know that there are some out there that will disagree with my opinion and that is fine. Like I stated before, this is just my opinion and I am only writing about what has worked best for me.

Good Investing,

Tim Jensen

Tacky? Not! - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on June 27, 2001 at 08:11:20:

Tim, you’re not ripping my beautiful screaming orange card, are you? I thought you were my friend!

Tell you what, let’s post your borrrrrring white card and my obnoxious one on the same bulletin board anywhere and see who gets the calls and cashes the checks. (They have to see your card through the clutter before they can call you, Tim) I want to get their attention, even if it means grabbing them by the throat! (Incidently, I do have a 2nd card that is very much classier that I hand to prospects owning upscale houses. Less intense, more subtle.)

This is GREAT! - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on June 24, 2001 at 21:39:47:

I am so glad to see so much activity on my post for a change. To think I was not even going to post on this topic. I am sure glad I did.

It is so good to see so many different takes on this subject. Best of all, none of the idea the posters have made are wrong. It is just their opinion. What works for them may work for you just as what works for me may work for you.

I guess the best lesson to be learned here is simple, don’t just follow someone blindly. Listen to both sides of the argument and make up your own mind. as Jim Rohn has said “Don’t be a follower, be a student”.

Take Care,

Tim Jensen

Don’t “major” in the “minors” - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on June 24, 2001 at 10:01:20:

When you started, I thought you were going to say - all this talk of business cards is a total waste of time. Instead you added to the continous waste of time by debating the various types of a business card. I would like to offer a contrary opinion.

Ladies and gentlemen, please understand - a business card is absolutely of no value in this business. It is another example of “majoring in the minors” and focusing on those things that DO NOT PRODUCE RESULTS.

Listen, I have been self employed for 20 years. I am almost ashamed to recall some of the tacky and nutty business cards I designed and printed at considerable expense. Now that I look back, I realize that I was trying to replace my lack of talent, abilty, experience with a flash business card. Believe me, to the people that matter , your business card does not make or break the deal - what it does in many cases is tell people that you really don’t know what you are doing and you are trying to fake it. And to the people that are impressed by the fact that you are “Chief Executive Officer” of “Reach for the Stars Real Estate Investment and Dynamic Acheivement Corporation” - well, they really don’t count.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a firm believer of you have to “fake it till you make it”. Taking that a step further, you have to see it inside before you see it on the outside. I have done some great deals by focusing on them in my mind and thinking about how they would look down the road and then a year later I am looking at the deal unfolding just as I “dreamed” it would. There is power in your sub-concious mind that is very very strong. I just went and listened to Deepak Chopra - now thats an interesting evening and it only cost $63 - about the price of 6 boxes of business cards - but the value of just one of his ideas is infinitely greater.

So, to all you people who are lying awake and designing business cards and web sites, stop all that nonsense. Pick up the phone or get in the car and sit in front of a customer. Thats where things happen.

Go and make it a great day.

Tacky cards - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on June 24, 2001 at 08:17:47:

Tim,
I tend to disagree with you on the bright colored cards. Sure you are taken back when you first look at them. But that’s the reason they are colored to get attention.

I collect many cards and I can tell you when I suffle through them to find one, do You know what ones stand out the most and I remember all the time? Those bright colored obnoxious ones. As qaudy as they are they get attention and get picked up.

In fact I use to leave cards out all the time. They were a basic white card that had the information I need. A few of them would get picked up but not very often so I switched to a bright colored card and they are always all gone when I went back to replenish them.

Another point. Have you ever looked at one of those bulliten boards that people thumbtack their cards on in puplic places? Usually the cards are so close together that it is just a big hodgepodge of cards but if you have a bright orange card right in the middle of that mess that is the one that gets attention and gets looked at first.

All we are trying to do grab someones attention and YELL the fact that “WE BUY HOMES” and I feel that’s what these bright cards do and they work. We are not trying to impress them with how important we are with a real professional card and a photo. I think that those type of cards have there place in certain businesses. But Like I am said I am yelling that I buy homes and these cards do it better for me and I have never had anyone refuse to sell me their home because my card was tacky.

I still do use white cards also but mostly just to hand out to other professionals I work with in the business. These cards do look a little more professional and the wording is a little different. But like I said to get attention of home sellers I have had much better luck with the bright colored ones and that’s what I am after.

Just my experiance.

Mark

Lets FACE It… - Posted by AWWMi.

Posted by AWWMi. on June 23, 2001 at 23:47:08:

Tim,
Good points given. I’ve read though that faces when stuck with names works well…at least in the real estate business. It helps to trigger ones memory better. Something good when someone needs your help 6 months from now. True Tim, I wouldn’t model for the front cover of Sports Illustrated , but hey I’m only human too. Names and faces, should they go together on a business card? Its amazing how many realtors I can remember by seeing their faces in the Sunday Real Estate section of the newspaper. Any significance there?
Just a thought… :slight_smile:

Re: This is GREAT! - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 24, 2001 at 22:33:03:

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of
discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” Jim Rohn

"That’s what we call the Law of Familiarity. Without the discipline of paying constant, daily attention, we take things for granted. Be serious. Life’s not a practice session.

If you’re often inclined to toss your clothes onto the chair rather than hanging them in the closet, be careful. It could suggest a lack of discipline. And remember, a lack of discipline in the small areas of life can cost you heavily in the more important areas of life. You cannot clean up your company until you learn the discipline of cleaning your own garage. You cannot be impatient with your children and be patient with your distributors or your employees. You cannot inspire others to sell more when that goal is inconsistent with your own conduct. You cannot admonish others to read good books when you don’t have a library card."

Jim Rohn

At one time I am sure you were serious about your marketing. Could it be that you have sucumbed, as we all seem to do after a while, with your marketing? Forgot the learning and teaching? Became to “Familiar” with our endevors?

I fear I may have on several areas. Read the great post by Bill Gatten on putting his written plan into action. He listed very specific action items to take.

Unfortunately many of us will still be getting “a round to it” while others are dropping their cards off daily like Carey posted above.

Night all.

Terry

Re: Don’t - Posted by Mike Schmidt (IL)

Posted by Mike Schmidt (IL) on June 24, 2001 at 16:37:05:

I have no opinion on the business card issue, for the most part I agree with you, but I do know others in this group that get a LOT of phone calls because they have bright colored business cards posted all over town.

I will say that adding my web page address to my newspaper ad has doubled the call volume I am getting and as a direct result will be signing two deals this week.

Re: Don’t “major” i - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on June 24, 2001 at 13:21:15:

John,

I think you expressed it very well. Business cards are a minor thing and should not too much thought. That is the whole part of the investor idea of the week.

Tim

Re: Don’t … - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 24, 2001 at 11:19:25:

I would agree that there are two or three types of cards. One for the professional times and one for the marketing.

Anyone who say that cards and websites are the same type of individual that would say “Don’t read those courses, They won’t make you money!”

They can sure lose you money if you are not sure how to do what you need to do. In any business.

A web site and a business card have brought me several deals. Or, let me rephrase that, several motivated sellers.

Why? Because I was in front of them when it counted.
Two deals were done because of my magnetic signs on my truck. Why? Because I was in front of their face when I needed to be.

Did it make or break the deal? Did I need to talk to them? Sell them? Tell them what I do and then produce?

YOU BET! But it was the marketing that got me there. And the courses that taught me what to say.

Most people won’t pay $700 for the course Get The Deed? I think the tapes alone will make me $20,000 this year.

Bronchicks course’s have allowed me to take this on full time. Period!

I would not call Marketing Minor! I put it up there in the Majors!

By the way I have 16 years in retail and marketing clearly made or broke several businesses. As did poor customer service.

I also attended the Jim Rohn seminar this weekend in Dallas with Zig, Jim and others. Well worth it. And even they tout marketing.

Re: Tacky cards - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on June 24, 2001 at 09:33:20:

I have two sets of cards…the ones ya’ll call tacky…bright yellow telling everyone how, when and where I buy homes and sell rent-to-own. These cards are great on bulletin boards, leaving them (with a tip) at fast food resturants, sending them with my applications when I know the level of house that the people can afford. They do get attention. I also give them to neighbors, my T/B’ers of property that I already own for them to give out for their referral money.
Then I have the professional white card with raised lettering for the bankers, investors, anyone that I want them to see me as a white collar worker or professional.
Ok…I probably explained that all wrong but you get the idea.
Works for me. In my area I buy and sell mostly… blue collar homes and buyers so the referral and bright cards do the trick.
Best Success,
Dee-Texas

Re: Lets FACE It… - Posted by Kiersten

Posted by Kiersten on June 24, 2001 at 06:12:05:

My partner and I, were mortgage lenders, have a picture business card and people LOVE them! We’re twins and both have on a white shirt with a black jacket (matching skirt too, but you can’t see that!). There have been many times where I’m telling a realtor or buyer that I have a partner and explaining how we work and they say “oh, I’ve seen your card–yeah I remember you”. They don’t remember our names usually but just the reminder that they have crossed our path before through this card usually gets them interested and makes them realize we’ve been around a while (rare in this business!). I spoke to an insurance agent recently and he commented about how someone gave him our card FOUR years ago and he has always kept it because of the picture. Now, I give business to him so that doesn’t help me much but it just goes to show that people DO like the picture! Perhaps someday he’ll pass it on to a buyer . . . :slight_smile: And yes, it needs to be professional–no candids, as I’ve seen, no scanning and printing them yourself and PLEASE no GLAMOUR SHOTS!!! Those crack me up!!! We actually LOOK like our picture, unlike those who have their GS picture taken 6 years ago with a rhinestone vest and hat–give me a break! I never solicit to realtors with these cards because they are obviously too high maintenance for my taste! :slight_smile: We get ours printed at Office Depot. It was expensive to set up, but reprints aren’t that bad. I need to reorder actually–this post has prompted me to do that!

Re: Don’t “major” i - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 24, 2001 at 14:33:07:

Then what is a “Major” Thing"?

What other part of marketing is 'Minor"?

Bandit signs? Post cards? Flyers? Ads? Magnetic Signs? and on and on and on…

If you take short cuts in one aspect of your game plan will others follow? Turns into a weak game plan after a while.

I know post cards and ads in certain papers have never worked for me. BUT…

If I sat here and said, “Don’t do those” I would be blasted.

Why? Because they work great in a lot of areas.

I know Bandit signs work super for me. For others… well not to great.

I think we need to be more careful about being all inclusive or all encompasing with our thoughts.

Pretty soon we will be saying subject to is the only way to go or rehabbing or…

Selling with owner financing is the only way to go…
Right Ed??? :wink:

Let’s think and give ideas. But marketing works different in different parts of the country.

Just my thoughts

Terry

let me add - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on June 24, 2001 at 13:23:07:

I meant that the whole idea of this weeks Investor of the Wekk post was don’t put too much energy into business cards.

Tim

Re: Don’t … - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on June 24, 2001 at 22:20:00:

I agree! Marketing is a major business winner. It must be done right. You just have to add it into one of those business expenses and deal with it. Over time, find out what works and doesn’t. But like Terry said for instance, a small one time expense for magnetic signs brought him two deals. If it cost $400/year for a web site and it made you just one deal, was it worth it? I think so.

It’s a fact that there are more CEO’s that were Marketing Majors in College than any other major.

Jeff

Re: Don’t … - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on June 24, 2001 at 13:17:45:

Terry,
I totally agree with you, Good post.

Mark