I Need A New ISP!!! - Posted by Walt Carey

Posted by Jeneine on December 09, 1998 at 18:19:26:

Hello everyone. I agree with JJ. If all you really need to do is connect to the internet and send/receive email Netzero is a good choice. Especially when it is free. I recently started using it and I am pleased. I also use Marabilis ICQ to keep in touch with others of similiar interests and for internet conferencing. This works very well along side a free ISP. Hope this helps.

I Need A New ISP!!! - Posted by Walt Carey

Posted by Walt Carey on December 08, 1998 at 14:42:53:

Hi Everyone,

Well, after my recent move to Hampton Roads, Virginia, I am now experiencing all kinds of connection problems with America Online. As a result, its now become, “Walt Offline” !!

So folks, I need some input on getting a new ISP. Is it best to go with a national ISP like Erols or Mindspring or how about a local provider? All your comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Walt

DO PEOPLE STILL PAY FOR THE NET??? - Posted by JJ

Posted by JJ on December 08, 1998 at 22:50:10:

Don’t pay for the net, use NetZero because its free. The only catch is a small banner of ads that are on your screen. But you can move it anywhere on the screen to get it out of your way. I find it fits nicely in the top right corner on my tool bar. Anyway its better than paying 20 buck a month. Give it a try, I did and I’ll never go back to paying again.
Good Luck.

DO PEOPLE STILL PAY FOR NET SERVICE??? - Posted by JJ

Posted by JJ on December 08, 1998 at 22:39:20:

I’ve been with NetZero now for a few months and its great. The best thing about it is ITS 100% FREE.
WWW.NETZERO.NET. Give it a try, works as good as my last ISP which was MSN.

Try your local phone company… - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on December 08, 1998 at 20:29:24:

and see if they offer internet service. (if you can’t get cable modem service–definitely better speed) Sometimes they’ll give the option to bill on your phone bill instaed of credit card if you like. Also, they’ve been in the phone business a lot longer than most ISPs, so there are more access numbers, hence less chance of a busy signal.

Worked for me after AOL went to flat rate, and I haven’t looked back.

Just my 2 cents.

raelynn

Re: I Need A New ISP!!! - Posted by DanM(OR)

Posted by DanM(OR) on December 08, 1998 at 18:06:55:

In my part of the country, the only good way to go is with a local provider. The service is, well local, they can even come over to your house if you need it.

If you do decide to go cable you will be happy. However, you will still have the option of going local or national.

Good Luck!!
Dan

Cable modem - Posted by Ken NJ

Posted by Ken NJ on December 08, 1998 at 16:09:14:

If it is available in your area, I would highly recommend a cable modem. I pay $40 per month for mine, and it is really fast. The cable company partners with an ISP, which is Erols in my case. The cable modem moves faster than the T1 line I have at work.

Re: I Need A New ISP!!! - Posted by chase

Posted by chase on December 08, 1998 at 15:27:08:

i’ve been using mindspring for a long time and am very happy with them. very very rarely do i have any trouble connecting and their customer service is excellent…

Re: I Need A New ISP!!! - Posted by Mark(MI)

Posted by Mark(MI) on December 08, 1998 at 14:50:02:

I have had great luck with my local ISP.