How Do I Find Out-Of-State Owners? - Posted by Marcus Chicago

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on December 08, 1999 at 12:23:02:

Marcus,

My title company provides me with mailing labels for out-of-state owners for free. Give that a try.

I hope this helps.

Bill K. (AZ)

How Do I Find Out-Of-State Owners? - Posted by Marcus Chicago

Posted by Marcus Chicago on December 08, 1999 at 06:45:12:

This is Week 3 of my “MIXING IT UP” in Real Estate!

I’m planning on doing a Mass Mail Campaign and I want to target out-of-state owners. How do I find them?

Also, I found a 3-flat that is a little run down. The owner is out-of-state and is 80+ years old. From what I understand, the pipes are bad and the place may need a little fixing up. This will be my FIRST OFFER! What suggestions does anyone have?

Thanks in Advance!
Marcus Chicago

Re: How Do I Find Out-Of-State Owners? - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on December 09, 1999 at 04:18:18:

Marcus,

When you talk about mailing to out-of-state owners, you may be imposing a limitation that you’re not aware of.

There ought to be many “out-of-County” owners, too. You may not have much play from owners that are in an “adjoining” county, but if they are two counties away, that will still make it difficult for them to show up at their properties on a regular basis, for management.

Sometimes the tax assessors office can do a special search for you and even print out the results. They may even be able to put the info on a diskette for you, which would make it considerably easier (unless you have a scanner).

Lots of folks seem to forget about “out of area” owners because they are fixated on the “out-of-staters”.

The tax assessors office can sometimes provide this info. Just tell them to exclude the county you are in, and the adjoining counties. The fees for this (should you be lucky enough that they do it) are nominal.

The best time to mail to these “out of area” owners might be immediately after the tax bills have been sent out. While the pain is still fresh.

Good luck,

Brad