How do I do this - Posted by John

Posted by Jack on September 07, 2000 at 23:28:51:

Thanks for the compliment friend :slight_smile:

“Now when this is done is it actually assuming the loan or having a contract and an escrow account with the seller to just take over payments?”

An example will be the easiest way to explain the process. So, let’s say you want to purchase a property I’m selling. I own the property with no mortgage or leins. I’m asking $100,000. I can refinance for 80% of the property value. That would give $80,000 in cash plus I’ll owe a mortgage of $80,000 plus the interest. You offer $90,000 and I accept. You don’t have money for a down payment, and you’re over leveraged from buying properties from conventional lenders. So you propose that I refinance for the $80,000, and you offer $90,000 on a seller financed note that is to be wrapped around my new mortgage. We deal for the interest rate and the monthly note payments. Since I’m the seller, I could be flexible. I could set the note payments at the amounts I owe, and charge the interest I’ll be paying; but, once my new mortgage is paid off, you would still be paying off the remainder you contracted for. That money would be spreadout as an income for me until you’ve paid off the property. Meanwhile, I’ve got $80,000 that you’re paying off, and it’s for my immediate use. You on the otherhand, received the property on a nothing down deal. But you’ll also be paying the taxes, insurance and upkeep on the property.

“Im sure it is not based just on trust, I guess IM asking for a little more detail for a situation that this can work in…Is this what always happens when asking a seller to refinance, do they keep the money while you take over the payments,”

Yes. It’s just a creative way of allowing them to get
most of their cash out immediately.

“what benefits to the seller is this, does it affect their credit at all to do this.”

The benefit is the 80% they receive up front. The second benefit, is selling the home to you. You are giving an additional $10,000+ with interest, and even though it’s less than market appraised value, the home might have sold for even less on a conventional deal. And, you now pay the taxes, insurance and upkeep on the property.

If you defaulted, the seller would repo the property; and inorder to keep from hurting their own credit, because your mortgage is wrapped around theirs, they would be forced to make payments. They could resale, or rent the property out. But during the time that you quit making payments, they would also need to make payments, because if you fail to make your note payments, they will be forced to keep the refinaced mortgage current, or else stand to lose the property. This is the drawback of selling under these conditions; and today, some mortgage companies might include a clause that prohibits an owner from wrapping a refinanced deal with a wrap-around mortgage. So you need the seller to check on restrictions before you enter such a deal. And never do a deal like this on a private contract for deed. You want your wrap-around mortgage recorded. Years down the road you don’t want a seller that might take advantage of the situation and borrow more money against the property before you’ve paid it off. And, if you ever do enter a contract for deed on any type property deal, take it to the court house and have it recorded with the owner’s records. This will serve as a protection to you if they seek a loan against the property during the life of your contract for deed.

I hope I’ve answered everthing, and I wish you success on your future REI deals. —Jack

How do I do this - Posted by John

Posted by John on August 24, 2000 at 21:18:17:

I have an elderly friend that is going to be selling her house . She is open to owner finance but not sure how much .She does own it free and clear . I can get 95% financing through a morgage co.if needed . How could I buy this without putting any money into the deal . Down payment ,closing , Earnest money .
All of my availble credit lines are tied up in a rehab right now . Thanks John , Ohio

Re: How do I do this - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler (Southern Calif)

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler (Southern Calif) on August 29, 2000 at 20:20:59:

Dear John. I think that a little more info is needed to give you a useful answer. How much is she willing to finance? How long is she willing to carry some or all of the loan and at what interest rate? What is your objective on this deal? I mean do you want to rehab and filp it or do you want to keep it long term as your personal residence or as a rental? Also though you may not be able to find out, it would be very helpful to you and to her in the structuring of you offer and contract if you could learn what she plans to do with the cash or income she receives. Also if you will accept a tip from an old timer, I suggest that since she is elderly you should have a younger and trusted family member of hers oversee this deal and advise her. They should also sign the contract as a witness with a simple statement signed by them that states simply that they advised her on this deal and also approved of it. The reason is simple. If something totally unexpected goes worng you are leaving yourself open to charges of "taking unfair advantage of a helpless lil 'ole lady who may not have known what she was doing when she made the deal. Even if she is totally in charge of her mental faculties can you guess what her children or heirs might say later in court. This is especially true if she gives you a really good deal and then spends all of her money before she dies. Then ALL of the heirs will be gunning for you if you have any other assets. Be fair, but be careful. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I’ve done lots of profitable deals with older people and never been sued. I hope you are wise enough to listen to this advice. I received this advice from an older mentor when I was a young man just starting out. He gave it to me free and I do the same for you now. Just because it costs nothing doesn’t mean it is worth nothing. I’ll be happy to hold you hand through this deal and try to act as your mentor, as well as to try to answer all of your questions as soon as I receive your reply to my questions. Your friend Doc. craigwhisler@ hotmail

Re: How do I do this - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on August 24, 2000 at 22:16:27:

John, if she wants to cash out, ask her if she would refinance the home and keep the cash? Then you contract for the home, making the payments she owes on the refinance deal. Or, ask her if she would be satisfied with a monthly income. No refinance, and you pay her on a note for the property. Either way, you could get in with no money down payment if you handled it right. Explain that with the latter, if you defaulted, she would be no worse off (still own the property), but would probably be much better off because you will do some renovations to improve the property. She won’t owe taxes, insurance, nor upkeep which would be her problems if you only rented. See where I’m going with this John? You sell yourself (rightfully) as a burden reliever of fixed costs. As the new owner you bare those responsibilities. Present it straight up to her with all of the fringe benefits that come with being the seller, and I’ll bet she will work with you on getting in for zero down. Best of luck on your REI deal! —Jack

Re: How do I do this - Posted by L(NYC)

Posted by L(NYC) on September 06, 2000 at 10:07:11:

I would like to compliment you on your explanantion of options for this deal…I always though I understood seller financing, but not until now do I realize that when asking a seller to take back a mortgage can be used as quick cash for them while you take over the loan. Now when this is done is it actually assuming the loan or having a contract and an escrow account with the seller to just take over payments? Im sure it is not based just on trust, I guess IM asking for a little more detail for a situation that this can work in…Is this what always happens when asking a seller to refinance, do they keep the money while you take over the payments, what benefits to the seller is this, does it affect their credit at all to do this.