How can I get heir #9 to... - Posted by Dick (FL)

Posted by Mark (WV) on February 01, 2002 at 10:49:24:

Well I have had to deal with this once, here is what I did,if you are sure of the address call a local title company in the area ask if they would go to the person and get the sig. Be prepared to spend about $250 for this serv.They will take a notary with them for $25 extra, This is what it cost me to do that in Buffalo,NY
and I live in WV about 10 hrs away.

Mark

How can I get heir #9 to… - Posted by Dick (FL)

Posted by Dick (FL) on February 01, 2002 at 10:19:22:

sign the contract and the deed?
The sibling (#1) who is selling the house advised me that it was under contract with another investor a year ago. Eight siblings signed the contract, and it was sent to #9 for her signature. She acknowledged receipt, and said she would sign and send it back. Never did do it, and then she became impossible for family to locate.
I hired a PI, and found #9 (address and phone number). On Monday, I will have my contract back with eight signatures.
#1 says I will have just one shot at #9. After that, she will move and disappear again (life-long habit).
I plan to have all closing documents (plus the contract) ready for #9’s signature at the time “I get my shot.”
She lives about 10 hours from me, so I don’t plan on seeing her - nor will a phone call work either.
What suggestions do you have about how to get her to sign - both logistically and motivationally? Find an CREON-ite in her city, and ask them to visit her with the papers (need a notary also)? A title company representative? Someone else?
And she apparently doesn’t care about the little bit of money she would get from this sale either. What motivating factors can I present to her?
BTW, the purchase price is 25,000, ARV is 75,000, and repairs are 15,000. However, the property goes to tax deed sale in four weeks.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Dick Butler

Thank you for your answers (nt) - Posted by Dick (FL)

Posted by Dick (FL) on February 04, 2002 at 12:48:29:

nt

Re: How can I get heir #9 to… - Posted by Dick (FL)

Posted by Dick (FL) on February 04, 2002 at 12:41:47:

Thank you for your answers (nt)

Re: How can I get heir #9 to… - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on February 01, 2002 at 22:08:05:

Dick Butler---------

I have had cooperative people at a distance and send a check in an envelop, the deed, and instructions to an attorney local to the person. They person goes in, signs the deed in front of the attorney or the attorney’s secretary–notary–and gets the envelope wiht the check. The attorney has a check there too, and sends back the deed. Costs me about $80-100.

Now, having a difficult person is a different thing. I might agree with you to have somebody you know who is a good negotiator go to the person and talk to him/her. And have the deed and check with him/her. You might want first to talk with the relatives and get as much information about the person to help you plan your strategy. Ask what motivates the person. What special foods does s/he like? Maybe a 6 lb box of chacolates makes the deal flow. Offer me three pounds of unsulfured dried apricots and I’m signing my house over to you!

Warning… joke alert… not a true statement… joke alert. Do not act upon this last sentence. Joke Alert.

Incedently, while I agree you should not go unless you have to do so, think about that $35K profit. I might well drive one way for a 1/2 chance to sign up the heir, even 10 hours away.

Good InvestingRon Starr

Re: How can I get heir #9 to… - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on February 01, 2002 at 16:34:51:

You could tell the other 8 that you will give a $500 bonus to whoever gets #9’s signature. And that if you don’t get it the deal is off and you will buy it at the tax sale. That puts it on them, let them worry about it. Besides they know her better than you do.