Home remodeling without permit question - Posted by James

Re: Home remodeling without permit question - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on April 07, 2010 at 11:14:22:

What I meant was getting the job permitted and done, as this will grandfather it from future requirments.

I know deck standards had changed over the years, and folks who built decks with permits back in 1975, under those standards, would not have to rebuild the deck, assuming it lasted that long.

If I go get a permit now, to legalize the old deck, the deck won’t meet current requirements, so a permit would have to be pulled, it would then have to be rebuilt, and then inspected, based on new standards.

Good point - Posted by James

Posted by James on April 07, 2010 at 17:27:09:

That is a good point Keith. Thanks
James

I am getting a Permit after all. - Posted by James

Posted by James on April 07, 2010 at 16:25:41:

I am getting a permit after all. My guy actually called me up today to “encourage” me to get one, since our town has people driving around looking for people working with no permit.
However, getting a permit does not mean that I am insured in case the ceiling collapses (read my post above).
James

Re: Some legal landmines to watch for - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on April 13, 2010 at 07:58:47:

Maurice:

Not every investment is a home run.

But you better your chances with an exit strategy, and adequate finances. I do “long term holds” with my rentals, so if I don’t make it out as a rehab and flip, I would make on as a rental, and make it long term capital gain.

Re: Home remodeling without permit question - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on April 07, 2010 at 11:29:21:

Frank,

see, that’s what’s so different ub dufferent areas. In Fulton County, Atlanta, if something was built without permit, after (I think it’s 7 years, don’t remember exactly) even if it wasn’t built to today’s code, it’s considered grandfathered, and they can’t do anything about it - unless, it is unoccupied for 1 year or more. Then they can require you to bring up to code or tear down. Otherwise, it’s accepted.

Michaela

One of the most important things to consider is that every jurisdiction (i.e., local government) has its respective standards and requirements. There is no one size fits all for the permitting process; Design Everest professionals can assist you in understanding there may be even multiple jurisdictions that have a say in the process of your soon-to-be new home before drafting up a plan. Design Everest has served in counties, such as Alameda, Santa Clara, Marin, San Mateo, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Napa, San Diego, and Los Angeles. Furthermore, land use designators indicate the different types of permits required for the land and determine if the property is designated for Single Family Residential or something else.

Here is the guide to the entire process of acquiring a Permit for remodeling, renovating, or rebuilding.