HELP WER'E IN TROUBLE AND WE CAN'T GET OUT - Posted by Patricia

Posted by Gerald-DC on July 30, 2001 at 20:10:20:

I am sorry for your situation and hope that your husband fully recovers. I think the first step you may want to take is to consult with a few personal injury attorneys to make sure you get a fair settlement from the automobile insurance.

I can only imagine what the medical bills are but you may be able to get a settlement from the accident that can help with your note.

I would also contact your county government and elicit information about programs that may be able to help you. Social security may also be a means of aid.

I truly hope that you are able to keep your property but if it gets to be too much and you fall behind, perhaps you can use some of the techniques that are discussed here to keep the property (rental) or sell the property (lease/option or maybe contract for deed) and downsize to a smaller unit. At least that way you can protect your credit rating.

I wish you the best. If you want to email me personally to bounce off some ideas feel free to contact me at gerald@dcmetroproperties.com

HELP WER’E IN TROUBLE AND WE CAN’T GET OUT - Posted by Patricia

Posted by Patricia on July 30, 2001 at 19:43:24:

We are new home owners in then state of maryland. We just bought our home a 2 weeks ago. My husband was in a car accident that left him in a coma and I was depending on his income to help with the mortage which is 1k a month. Someone…is there anything I can do to insure that we don’t loose our house. Is there any programs out there that I can get with that may aid me in this financial matter. Are there any laws to safeguard that we don’t loose our home. We used his 401k to help get the loan, insurance is out of the question because he has not passed away. Anyone out there with some advice please help.

Patricia

Re: HELP WER’E IN TROUBLE AND WE CAN’T GET OUT - Posted by louis

Posted by louis on July 30, 2001 at 23:54:02:

you should hire an accident lawyer there is actually stuff they can do for this situation i have seen them even lend money to clients untill the case was over and since your husband is hospitalized your attorney may be able to tie up the mortgage for a while …th’yre good at slowing things down plus they don’t have to be paid they pull a percentage from the settlement but who care as long as you have some power on your side

Re: HELP WER’E IN TROUBLE AND WE CAN’T GET OUT - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on July 30, 2001 at 23:11:48:

In addition to the other excellent suggestions:

1. Call the local welfare office and apply for assistance.

2. Call Social Security and apply for SSI.

3. Call the county housing assistance office and see if you are eligible for the Section 8 housing assistance program.

4. If the accident was on-the-job, check with your husband’s employer to file a claim under workman’s compensation.

5. Ask your pastor to conduct a special fund appeal at your church.

6. If you or your husband is a member of any of the many service organizations (Lions, Rotary, Elks, Moose, etc.) ask them to conduct a special assistance fund drive.

look at your paperwork… - Posted by BillW.

Posted by BillW. on July 30, 2001 at 21:17:41:

Patricia,
Check your mortgage paperwork carefully. Look for any insurance that may be associated with it. Whenever you get a new mortgage, they ALWAYS try to sell you insurance for accident/death along with it. It usually adds a little to your premium if you take it. Check carefully to see if you have this in force.
If not, check all your current policies to see if you have any that might help out. Often banks will give you a small policy like this if you open an account. They do it for free for many new customers. Check your bank paperwork on your accounts and see if there is a policy. If you have regular insurance, of course, call them. Call the lender and let them know. If none of these work, check back with the board and be aware that there are many ways to work this out. I hope your husband has a speedy recovery.
Wishing you the best,
BillW.