Help a newbie!! - Posted by Butch

Posted by Butch on June 21, 2001 at 18:47:53:

Thanks for the advice, although my job is somewhat flexible on my hours, I can’t afford to quit my job to go work for someone in Real Estate. I definitely plan on joining a REI club maybe I could meet a mentor, any more suggestions?

Help a newbie!! - Posted by Butch

Posted by Butch on June 21, 2001 at 16:27:06:

I recently began researching REI and am very excited about the possibilities. I was wondering if I could get some advice on ways to educate myself(ie books, classes, seminars etc.) I bought the Carleton Sheets program and am now waiting on it to arrive, I hope this was a good start.
Let me tell you about my situation, I am currently trying to rebuild my poor credit(any suggested reading?) and don’t have much collateral to work with and I make about $55,000 a year. All suggestions will be much appreciated!
THANX!!
Butch

Re: Help a newbie!! - Posted by Mark W.

Posted by Mark W. on June 23, 2001 at 05:48:58:

Get “Credit Repair” by Attorney Robin Leonard. Here is the link.

All recent updates to "Credit are at the bottom of the screen.

hope this helps it has me!

Peace & Prosper
Mark W.

Re: Help a newbie!! - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on June 21, 2001 at 20:21:45:

Butch--------------

I would not suggest becoming a real estate sales person unless you really feel you could make good money at it. If you are not the salesperson type, don’t do that.

Those of us with 20 years of experience are still learning. Don’t expect one book or course to do very much to educate you. Take community college classe. Read the posts here and on other similar forums.

Start studying the neighborhoods in your area. Get to know the market values of properties.

Plan to spend about 6 months to 18 months before you buy your first deal. Meanwhile, cut down your spending so you can save more to help you buy more properties.

Oh. Don’t believe what everybody tells. About 1/3 of what you hear will be wrong. Except, believe everthing I say. Well, at least understand that I believe it to be true.

Good InvestingRon Starr**

Re: Help a newbie!! - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on June 21, 2001 at 18:05:39:

Butch,

You do not tell us too much about your situation, but I will presume you are about avarage, and fairly young. That said, I would suggest the following.

Join a REIA grop in your area, you can learn a lot there. Also you will be in contact with a lot of people who are “doin it”.

Go to work for an investor, or a rehabber. Do some “grunt work” for cash and experience.

Find out what it takes to become a real estate salesperson , and do that. You will learn a lot, and if you don’t like it you can move on.

Go to work for a local real estate company as an unlicensed helper, doing “odd jobs”. Great way to learn the ins and outs of this business.

Hmm… I guess it just boils down to WORK.