Health Insurance - Posted by Michigan Andy

Posted by CYNDI G on June 29, 2001 at 12:30:53:

sometimes you can join a local area credit union and they offer benefits

Health Insurance - Posted by Michigan Andy

Posted by Michigan Andy on June 29, 2001 at 11:55:06:

Hey, gang! Long time, no post!

I’m just kind of curious from the lot of self-unemployed folks in the group as to where you acquire health insurance from. As some of you know, my wife and I are just “getting out of prison” and are looking to cover ourselves well (tough walking away from the ‘public trough’ of benefits that Civil Service provides).

I’ve contacted the local Chamber of Commerce, and that’s an option. Just thought I’d pick some brains (you know, because all of them are here!).

$ucce$$,

Andy

Re: Health Insurance - Posted by Tim Jensenq

Posted by Tim Jensenq on June 29, 2001 at 22:17:52:

Andy,

I use a company called the Provident at healthaxis.com. It is a internet only health provider, however they have been real good. The company is even traded on the stock exchange and appears to be financially sound. Best of all, their rates are real competitive.

Good luck,

Tim

Re: Health Insurance - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on June 29, 2001 at 15:48:14:

I’ve been with Blue Cross Blue Shield for a number of years. Prior to that I had a couple of other insurance companies that I was with that ceased doing health insurance in my state. As Jim states go with a company that will be around tomorrow.

I have a high deductable to keep my premiums down. I have a $10,000 deductable. I look at this strategy as a way that will keep me out of bankruptcy if I should have a major accident or illness. If you can’t afford to pay the $10,000 deductable I highly recommend a much lower deductable.

Re: Health Insurance - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 29, 2001 at 14:14:33:

My wife and I are insured with Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I’m with JT. Whatever you do get with someone who is going to be around. That’s one reason I picked Blue Cross. I don’t figure they’re going anywhere. At one time a number of years ago I was with a company who got into financial trouble, jacked the rates up big time, and started to be declined by doctors. Had a guy had a health problem, and had difficulty getting new insurance, being with this company would have been a huge problem.

I had picked them based on cost. Pick your insurance company based on whether they’ll be around, even if it’s a few bucks more.

JPiper

Re: Health Insurance - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on June 29, 2001 at 13:23:56:

Andy:

You would no doubt have an option to continue your current coverage for 18 months, through the COBRA provision, through your former employer.

Provided that both your wife and self have no health issues, there are many options available. Few are stable enough, that will give you good rates, (not necessarily the cheapest), for very long. This is not a big issue, if you remain insurable, however, if one of you would develop a health problem, then portability becomes a big problem.

I would stay away from self-employed Assn coverages, as the benefits, as a general rule, change periodically, and stability is suspect, at best.

BC/BS is sometimes a good option, but they tend to go up and down in rates, as they get more and less aggressive.

With the employee shortage today, there are employers who are willing to offer benefits to workers that are part time, with as little as 16 hrs per week. Depending upon whether you or your wife might consider working part-time, to garner the health benefits, and when factored into a few number of hours worked, this can substantially increase an effective hourly wage, when calculated at the cost of health ins. savings, each month.

If you are looking at purchasing directly from an insurer, it is best to ask how they pool insureds; whether by individual, by blocks of insureds, or by their overall number of insureds. You want a company that rates everyone that is the same age, and sex, the same rate, without exception, regardless of the block of business you happen to in. Most self-pay policies are NOT this way, so best to avoid these. Companies like Golden Rule, and other similar ins companies, have pulled out of an entire state, leaving many former insureds with NO coverage.

This begins to get a bit complex, if not familiar with insurance matters, but the answers to this question, when buying a single health policy, is the single most important answer, as to whether your insurance rates will be stable. Unstable rates, will soon mean that the coverage will be too expensive, and if you have lost protability due to health qualifying, you may lose your insurance coverage. This is a major problem, in the area of self pay today, and largely why we have soooooo many people that are uninsured for health insurance.

Just the way that I view things…

JT - IN

Re: Health Insurance - Posted by sueC

Posted by sueC on June 29, 2001 at 12:47:23:

Do you have a local REIA? Sometimes they offer health benefits for their memebers. In my area, too, local food co-ops offer them. And I know of people who are actually signed up wiht Aetna US Healthcare as single payers, so also try calling the insurers themselves.