Has Anyone Seen a Realtor Lately??? - Posted by BR2

Posted by Frank Pgh PA on March 11, 1999 at 21:47:37:

many RE Agents do not want to work with investors. I respect my agent’s time. When she sends me the list of properties that meet my criteria, instead of asking her to use her time taking me around to look at them, I cul through the list and pick out those I’m most interested in. Then, I send my “Inspecter” out[in the beginning I had to do the inspections myself so I knew what to expect of the person I trained]to do an exterior inspection and report back to me with photos of the front and back of the house and info on the neighborhood. From there, I guesstimate repair costs, call my agent and have her submit the offers. Since this doesn’t take up much of her time, she’s more willing to work with me. No way I’d ask her to go with me to look at 40, 30, 20, or even 10 properties!

Has Anyone Seen a Realtor Lately??? - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on March 11, 1999 at 08:42:40:

I’ve called on 3 different properties this weekend and not one realtor returned my call!! Why do they even bother to advertise if they don’t have time to respond to these ads.

Okay, we got a foot of snow Monday, but today is Thursday!
What in the HELLo are they doing? Is there a realtor convention or something?

If anybody tuned in, thanks for listening, I feel much better. I guess I’ll start calling again. One of these days I’ll find a motivated realtor (hopefully).

Simple is right! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on March 11, 1999 at 18:38:48:

Why would you call the listing agent for every property you find?
Frankly, when you find a realtor who works well with you, have them look up the proerty in the MLS and take you to see it.
I have a GREAT Realtor that I met thru a past deal.
I returned from Dallas, and asked her to look up homes in the MLS using “Keywords” like “As is”, “vacant”, “Immediate occupancy”, and “Special adendum”, or “Bank owned”.
Guess what?
Today, she faxed me 48 MLS sheets and we will be looking at several of the homes over the next couple days, and making offers on them as well.
So keep looking, ther are good Realtors out there, but they are like lawyers, far and few between.
Just my $.02
Jim

Simple. - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on March 11, 1999 at 09:30:29:

Dude - this is simple.

If the realtor on the ad doesn’t call you back - call ANOTHER local realtor and give THEM your business. State clearly that you will work with them and require them to get back to you in a timely manner.

Keep looking until you find one. You’ll be surprised how some realtors will step to if you tell them their commission check is on the line.

RL

Re: Has Anyone Seen a Realtor Lately??? - Posted by Carmen

Posted by Carmen on March 11, 1999 at 09:07:36:

Although I generally defend realtors, having done that for an entire month before I decided that was not the life for me, I am beginning, as an investor, to experience the frustrations you are. As a member of the board and a dues-paying realtor, I still have access to the MLS, and am supposed to be able to get into any property, as long as I get the codes, etc. from the listing office. Many, many, times, the receptionist at the listing office will not be able to give me this information, and tells me to contact the realtor directly - then we get into a voice-mail tag game! If and when I do talk to them, I’m surprised that they can’t give me basic info - e.g., is there a mortgage on the property, and at what rate. I can still show up at the house and knock, but you’d be surprised how many hostile people are “trying” to sell their house - sometimes I think they feel like THEY are doing ME a favor by letting me show/sell/buy their house!

I suggest you find one or two good, friendly, cooperative realtors (someone new to the business, maybe, who has not built up so many calluses), and let them do the background work for you and get you the info you need off the MLS to make an informed decision, and who will also be able to let you into most of the homes - let him/her play phone tag with the other realtor, and once they get the information, let them show you the property.

To be fair, I have met a lot of very motivated, cooperative sellers, and busy but responsive realtors. They are out there.

Re: Has Anyone Seen a Realtor Lately??? - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on March 11, 1999 at 09:03:40:

Do what HR does. Go up to the house you want to buy and
knock on the door. Tell the owner you would like to see
their house but the realtor is not returning your
calls. They will not only show you the house but you
will have a better opportunity to find out what the
seller needs, than if the realtor showed you.

Good luck!

Sandy FL

IMHO…that’s exactly why… - Posted by Frank Pgh PA

Posted by Frank Pgh PA on March 11, 1999 at 22:04:55:

many RE Agents do not want to work with investors. I respect my agent’s time. When she sends me the list of properties that meet my criteria, instead of asking her to use her time taking me around to look at them, I cul through the list and pick out those I’m most interested in. Then, I send my “Inspecter” out[in the beginning I had to do the inspections myself so I knew what to expect of the person I trained]to do an exterior inspection and report back to me with photos of the front and back of the house and info on the neighborhood. From there, I guesstimate repair costs, call my agent and have her submit the offers. Since this doesn’t take up much of her time, she’s more willing to work with me. No way I’d ask her to go with me to look at 40, 30, 20, or even 10 properties!