Harboring Illegal Aliens - Good times? - Posted by Eddy V (MI)

Posted by Rich Hyams(FL) on April 30, 2003 at 20:33:52:

I have to agree. I am in South Florida. Many legal and illegal immigrants. Before coming here, I heard that there were alot of spanish people, I didn’t realize how many. The best people I have working for me were illegal at one point.

I think your only bad part is that he disclosed that to you. Had he winked when he showed you his SS card, you would be in a different position. I don’t think it is an automatic move on without talking to a lawyer to find out what risks you have.

Obviously, if a trusted attourney told me that its risky with a big down side, adios, if he minimizes the risk and downside, I wouldn’t hesitate.

Harboring Illegal Aliens - Good times? - Posted by Eddy V (MI)

Posted by Eddy V (MI) on April 30, 2003 at 18:00:45:

I have an applicant to buy a home I own in SW Detroit on land contract. The applicant said he has a social security #, but its not his. This means he?s an illegal alien. He has the cash to put down ($6000 ? green cash that I?ve seen) and he has pay stubs for his job where he makes enough money to certainly make his payment. Additionally, he has more incentive than most to make all of his mortgage payments, as a foreclosure would mean deportation. Are there legal ramifications as a lien holder on the property if he is deported? Also he disclosed that he is an illegal alien ? do I have any obligation not to sell to him under these conditions? The land contract has a 10-year balloon, so I know that?s the longest that I will hold lien, if he does not foreclose before than. (He mentioned making double payments to pay off sooner ? but who knows if that will happen.)

Any comments will be appreciated.

Eddy V

Re: Harboring Illegal Aliens - Good times? - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on April 30, 2003 at 22:18:54:

I would sell to him. If he has risked his life and busted his butt to get to this country ILLEGALLY and save up $6000, he is obviously a daring, and responsible, guy.

I would check with a lawyer re: the legalities but I would have to guess that there is no legal liability for you, from selling to him. Especially because it is being sold on land contract and you are retaining legal title. Also, think of it this way, you know he will never, ever complain to any authorities, or try to sue you!

If you’re not opening up a can of worms for yourself - legally - I would say go for it.

NT

Re: Harboring Illegal Aliens - Good times? - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on April 30, 2003 at 22:15:45:

TURN HIM INTO THE INS!

Re: Harboring Illegal Aliens - Good times? - Posted by christen

Posted by christen on April 30, 2003 at 19:10:48:

I would definitely check with a lawyer, but don’t right him off that quickly. In the area where I invest Bosnians are moving in like crazy, they work hard, pay with cash and have really cleaned up the city. I’d do what you can in order to do business with him, don’t just “move on”. do your homework.
Just my 2 cents

Re: Harboring Illegal Aliens - Good times? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on April 30, 2003 at 18:23:34:

Eddy,

He is an illegal. You can get yourself into a real mess. Look for someone else, like a citizen.

Regards,

RichV(FL)

INS has better things to do - Posted by GG

Posted by GG on May 01, 2003 at 13:33:55:

Thats what they told me when I called to inquire about what to do when the Social Security Administration sent a form telling me that several SS#'s didn’t match. I worked for a construction company and had to file payroll taxes, etc. and send a list of employees with SS#'s. The SS office didn’t have a solution either. Tell the employees to get a SS#, they just got another false one.
I’ve sold 3 mobiles to foreigners. Only one has paid taxes and transferred title to his name. They all paid cash. The other two will be taken by the state for non payment of taxes eventually. The tax assessors office says I will have to wait until then to show proof that I sold them. Then I’ll have to show the newspaper also so they can print a retraction/correction taking my name out of it.
Consult an Attorney!

That’s Cold Blooded… LOL(nt) - Posted by rhunter

Posted by rhunter on May 01, 2003 at 07:59:51:

nt