Happy Birthday to "Daredevil" Lonnie! - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by ray@lcorn on November 05, 2000 at 22:07:50:

Lonnie,

Congratulations and Happy, Happy Birthday!

You’re out there making those memories, and teaching the rest of us that the sky really is the limit!

ray

Happy Birthday to “Daredevil” Lonnie! - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on November 04, 2000 at 13:47:39:

Happy, happy birthday, Lonnie. We hope you’re having a blast!

We’ll call soon to see how you enjoyed Janet’s gift…

Listen to this, folks, Lonnie is jumping out of an airplane
today for the very first time (a birthday gift from his
daughter, Janet).

Warm Regards,

Terry and JP

Re: The Eagle has landed. - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on November 05, 2000 at 10:25:56:

What a birthday! After instructions from the jump master, we suited up. The eagles headed for the plane and the chickens back to their coop. Then somebody asked, " Who wants to go first?" Janet (my daughter) and I both raised our hands at the same time. (One of the chickens said, "If ever there was doubt that stupidity runs in the family, we just confirmed that it does.)

So off we go to 14,000 feet, at least that’s what that gadget on my wrist said. But looking down, the ground looked the same as it does from 32,000 feet. I got the feeling that we were up there with the 747’s.

Then the door slides open. And posted by the door was a sign that said, “Vertical Speed Limit 120 MPH.” Ever wonder how quick you can go from 0 to 120? The answer is “REAL QUICK.” Another sign said, “Why are you jumping?'” And the answer, “Because the door was open.” And out the door we go.

After free falling for 9,000 feet, (about a minute), I saw the most beautiful sight I’ve ever seen? an open parachute over my head (mine). Then I saw Janet’s chute above me. I started to feel like an eagle soaring through the sky, high above the clucking chickens we left behind.

For the rest of the fall, I was able to maneuver the chute to go whichever way I wanted to go. It’s amazing how somebody figured out how to put gears on a parachute. If you pull the strap on the right, you go to the right. Pull the strap on the left, and you go to the left. Pull hard on both straps, and you stop. (Well, almost.) Never did learn how to put it in reverse, though.

I had always wondered what it felt like to parachute out of a plane and float to the ground. Now I know. What a birthday present! I’ll end by saying, “If you live out your dreams, you won’t always have to wonder what you missed.” (A cameraman followed us down and video taped the jump. What a treasure for our “memory bank”, and I have proof that I did it.)

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and birthday greetings. And let me encourage all of you to live out your dreams. You CAN do it, and It’s much better than spending the rest of your life wondering what you missed.

Best wishes,

Lonnie

P.S. Thank you Janet, for not only suggesting such a remarkable (and unusual) birthday present, but sharing it with me. Wonder how many Dad’s can answer the question, “What did you do on your birthday?, with” Oh, I jumped out of a plane with my daughter".

P. P. S. Joanne just walked by with an arm full of clothes for the washer, and asked, “How come you’re the one that jumped, but it’s my pants that need washing?” But would you believe that she’s now gone from an emphatic “NO’” (when asked if she wanted to jump) to “Maybe?” I’ll keep you posted.

Re: Happy Birthday - Posted by Ernest Tew

Posted by Ernest Tew on November 05, 2000 at 04:42:28:

Happy Birthday, Lonnie! I’ve been flying for forty years but never felt the need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. But, I have to admit, it could be even more exciting than selling a mobile home.

Re: Happy Birthday to - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on November 04, 2000 at 18:30:44:

Happy Birthday Lonnie… I just want to know if you’d do it again… :slight_smile: Me I’d think in the case of jumping out of a plane I’d have to inspect my own chute… and if the plane left while I inspecting … then Oh, Darn.

One of these days…

David Alexander

Re: Happy Birthday to - Posted by Del (SC)

Posted by Del (SC) on November 04, 2000 at 15:56:15:

After you get a couple jumps behind you, try the Sky Surfing, its Awesome! Have a Great Day!!

Happy Landings Lonnie! - Posted by Tony_VA

Posted by Tony_VA on November 04, 2000 at 14:12:21:

and a very happy birthday too!

Tony

Happy Birthday Lonnie!!!(nt) - Posted by Ed Ortiz

Posted by Ed Ortiz on November 04, 2000 at 14:07:32:

Well you told us! - Posted by Dave_in_IN

Posted by Dave_in_IN on November 06, 2000 at 17:50:04:

Congratulations Lonnie.

Can’t wait for the book on this one!
…Dave

Excellent, - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on November 06, 2000 at 10:53:25:

Hi Lonnie,
Don’t know what happened to the Birthday Post Jeanne and I submitted, must have been tossed out into cyberspace somewhere.
Anyhow I just wanted to say (again) many happy returns from our us both.
You are such an inspiration not only in business, but also in life.
I have taken to heart a conversation that you and I had several months ago, about takening time to smell the roses and not just working 22 hours a day. I have to say you are right and we have been doing just that.
Thanks for the advice, and again happy Birthday.
I can’t imagine jumping out of a plane (for fun) but I’m certainily not surprised you did it.
Dirk