GPS tracking for new appliances (?) - Posted by JD

Posted by Rich-CA on June 23, 2007 at 18:22:16:

I have not researched this specifically for appliances, but you could try motion alarms; attaching the appliance so it requires tools to remove; not putting appliances in until ready for the sales cycle and then using the mag key MLS type lockbox (it automatically verifies who enters and when, keeping a log of accesses); having the property alarmed (many alarm companies now allow you to assign different codes to different people so you know who shuts off the alarm).

Just some ideas. I know there are trackers, but the one I know about is generally built into the equipment (such as ocean shipping containers and the like) and to my knowledge are not yet mass market.

GPS tracking for new appliances (?) - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on June 23, 2007 at 10:03:51:

I recently had an expensive new regrigerator stolen out of one of my remodels. So I got to thinking that I could buy some battery powered GPS tracking device and hide it in the appliance. I thought someone else might have already researched this and could give me some feedback.

ps: I really don’t care if you don’t put appliances in your houses, or that you offer appliance credits at closing, or that you bill your insurance company.

Here’s one from google - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on June 24, 2007 at 09:46:27:

http://www.equiplocate.com/battery_powered_tracking.htm

Re: GPS tracking for new appliances (?) - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 23, 2007 at 19:48:48:

I saw a ‘cops’ show once, where they found a big commercial aircompressor in the thief’s garage, because the owner had put a GPS onto it. But that was a 10K piece of equipment. I don’t know, if it would be cost effective.

Michaela