getting started - Posted by buster

Posted by John SirJohnathon Grounds on June 20, 2001 at 15:37:04:

Well,

I am not exactly an expert on golf. For some reason, my last book “How to line up your 4th putt” didn’t sell well. I am hoping the next one “40 tips for finding your ball in high weeds” will do better.

John “SirJohnathon” Grounds

getting started - Posted by buster

Posted by buster on June 17, 2001 at 23:09:28:

I want to get started mowing on a part-time bases. I plan to mow 10-15 yards a week, and need advice on purchasing a mower. Is the John Deere 325 a good mower, and will it hold up once I am able to go full time. This mower cost about $6,000.00 and has a 48" deck, 18 hp. Any advice on the business or the mower would be appreciated.

Re: getting started - Posted by Eric C

Posted by Eric C on June 19, 2001 at 24:38:03:

Hi -

I can’t speak to the specifics of the business, but…

Why is it so hard to find someone to trim trees and shrubbery (among other things) for my yards?

Finding people to mow them is easy. Taking care of them is another story. I’d be willing to pay for that.

You could even sign me up for the entire year (as opposed to just growing season). Make it a package deal or something. Bill me quarterly on my VISA card.

Just kidding. But believe it or not, some of the most successful folks in this business do “package” other services with the lawn mowing. Helps the cash flow. Keeps the customers happy. You know?

Also, if I had a son (or grandson) looking seriously at this business, I’d point them in the direction of pool care instead.

My pool guy drives a new SUV every year, collects a check from me for at least $100 per month (12 months a year), and dresses in golf clothes; expensive ones at that.

As long as I’ve known him (and that’s over 15 years), I’ve yet to see him break a sweat when “working” on my pool – unlike my lawn guy with the mowing deal.

While my lawn guy is comparing the “relability” factors of different (expensive) equipment and complaining about how his “help” breaks everything, my pool guy is still using the same broom he did the first day on the job.

How do I know? Because he charges me for all (well, almost all) of the equipment and supplies he uses for my pool. So maybe he is using a newer broom – he charged me for it anyway! Talk about net!

Expenses? What expenses? Sunglasses? Suncreen? A larger wallet to carry all his money in?

Seriously, I’d give the pool care business a thought if I were you.

I’d give you my pool guy’s name, but he’s currently vacationing at his condo in the Greek Isles.

Yours,

Eric C

PS - he “takes care” of about 100 pools in my area. Add it up.

Mowers - Posted by John SirJohnathon Grounds

Posted by John SirJohnathon Grounds on June 18, 2001 at 17:11:17:

Buster,

Intersting question for this board…but what the heck…why not.

Oddly enough, I was just talking to a seller the other day about this. He owns a large multi city lawn service, and I needed to make small talk. I asked him what he thought the best mower was as a way of “talking familiar stuff”. I guess that conversation was just for you. :slight_smile:

According to him, he mows around 250 yards per week (not personally of course). He has been doing it for 15 years, and has tried about every type of mower out there. He says the only one he will ever buy again is a “Scag”. I guess they run around $5k for a good used one depending on the size. Just for the heck of it, I looked up their webpage. Look at www.scag.com

Hope this helps,

John “SirJohnathon” Grounds

Re: getting started - Posted by Chuck (AZ)

Posted by Chuck (AZ) on June 19, 2001 at 13:22:00:

I found a licensed tree contractor in the local PennySaver-type newspaper, who also does ground care. Very reasonable and dependable. Check it out.

As to the pool service business, I’d totally agree with your perspective. I’ve yet to see one of these that didn’t look like it was making good money.

Re: Mowers - Posted by Alan

Posted by Alan on June 19, 2001 at 17:22:35:

Skag is the only mower not another can even compare to it or stand in the same line with it. Speakin g from experiance.

Re: Mowers - Posted by CharlieK

Posted by CharlieK on June 19, 2001 at 09:29:25:

Real estate to MH’s to lawn care. Is there anything your not into? :->

I really enjoy reading your opinions on this board. Thanks.