getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by marleeka

Posted by JS properties on June 13, 2000 at 20:36:20:

You must read the course chapter by chapter again and again if need be . The ways he teaches do work . Follow what he says word for word and do what he says and when .You can build up your credit .Look in classifieds for investers make sure you ask alot of questions .Look for owner financed properties . Investers will some times have owner finance properties .Real estate investing does work but you have to work to . Dont give up never say die read the book again .

getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by marleeka

Posted by marleeka on June 13, 2000 at 17:09:21:

i’ve been studying the cs course and i actually tried to make a call just to see what it would be like to give calls to sellers. needless to say, i got rejected…but that’s not the point. i have terrible credit and i don’t own anything and i truly don’t understand half the terms in the cs course so i’m going to order the “terms and techniques” video. but how can a person like me call someone or even meet them and structure a no money down transaction. i live in a college area so it would not be hard to rent properties out if i could just get my hands one one (or two or three!). i just can’t seem to piece this all together and i’m just getting confused and frustated! help!!! plus is it really hard to find a partner and has anyone tried graystone mortgage?

Re: getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by David G.

Posted by David G. on November 10, 2003 at 19:06:58:

I became a regional associate trained by Graystone Mortage. I closed my 1st deal 2 months after taking their course. I made 17K from that deal using their techniques. I deeply recommend them.

If you have further questions about them you can write me.

dgpioneer@juno.com

Re: getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by Sheila in Mississippi

Posted by Sheila in Mississippi on July 11, 2000 at 08:30:18:

Marleeka, I too, am a beginner and reading through CS
course, I have been treating it like my clothes. Its
always on. I have my insecurities, but I plan to work
through them. I love this newsgroup, I have found great
advice. They have even made some of the concepts easier to understand.

Hang in there, I know that I am going to!

Re: getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on June 15, 2000 at 03:31:16:

Marleeka,

Your getting some very good advice. Also, remember, when talking to a seller (initially)-“DON’T TRY TO GET THEM TO TAKE AN OFFER RIGHT OFF THE BAT.” In fact, don’t make ANY offer(s). Use this ‘First Contact’ to “pre-screen” the seller. Find out about the house (of course), but find out about the seller needs (what they are looking for and what the may or may not accept). THEN, and only then do I construct offer(s) on what I’ve learned about the seller. Most all of the time, ‘the deal I can construct around the SELLER’S NEEDS is MORE IMPORTANT the the house itself (of course, the FMV and condition is important, too).’ But what I’m saying is, by appealing the the sellers, “gets offers accepted.” I’ve bought houses other investors beat me to the punch, but they didn’t listen.

Some time the seller is in no way motivated and wouldn’t accept any offer I’d make. I can find that out within 2 to 5 min. of the first conversation and I tell the seller this and I don’t waste my time. No secrets! No fancy negotiating techniques!

Re: getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on June 14, 2000 at 16:29:30:

Why not post some of the terms in CS that you are having trouble with. I am sure the people on here wil lbe glad to help you work through them.

Mark

It’s a tall mountain, isn’t it? - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on June 14, 2000 at 06:37:06:

Marleeka,

Your start on this journey is not unlike starting on the journey of going over a mountain. From your base camp, it looks high, hard, and difficult. And guess what? It is.

Sorry Carleton, but it just ain’t that easy. Possible? Heck yes. Easy? Depends on your knowledge, skills, experience, connections, credit, and cash position. If you have a lot of these, you have an easier (still not easy) time; if you have few of these… well, let’s just say that mountain just got 45 degrees steeper and 6000 feet higher.

So, have you got all your equiptment? You’re saying you don’t. Instead of shelling out more good money to a bad source, why not try some excellent free and cheap sources of information? First, read everything here. Next do an archive search on your topics and read everthything; that will take awhile. Then, go to your library and read all the stuff they have there. Finally, go to Barnes and Noble or some big bookstore and take advantage of the excellent, numerous titles in their real estate department. I highly recommend Real Estate Investing, 2nd Edition, by McLean and Eldred and The Five Magic Paths to Making a Fortune in Real Estate by Lumley.

Now, at least, you have some of your equiptment? So, do you know how to use that mountain gear? The purchase and sale agreement form? Do you have your mountain team ready? A real estate lawyer? A home inspector? Etc etc etc… If not, then look for and join your local reia (real estate investor association) group. Go to www.nareia.com and CALL their office to find out if a group is near you; their website doesn’t list all the groups around the country so you need to call. Join a local group. These experienced mountain climbers will teach you how to use the equiptment for cheap. Heck, you might even find a good guide to lead you up part of the mountain.

Ahhh… but in the end, even though you now may have your own equiptment and know how to use it, and maybe even an experienced real estate serpa, you still have that pesky mountain itself to climb. You still have to all the real work to make money at this.

And this biz is like any other biz: the more experience (and connections, and skills, and knowledge) you get, the easier it gets. Your first deal (hill) is the hardest. Overcome it.

Easily 99 out of a 100 that start out never get over the mountain. And you know what? That aint no shame! Thank the gods for that! I’m glad most newbies quit and give up from frustration, exhaustion, lack of persistence, etc. Know why? I don’t want the competition! Remember: if it were easy, everyone would do it. In the end, the difficulty of getting started serves as your nemesis in the beginning, but after you get the hang of it more or less, it becomes your ally: it keeps others out of your lucrative field.

Thank Carlton for introducing you to the huge mountain. Curse him for making it look like you too will be bathed in diamonds, large homes, sports cars, and Florida mansions any time soon. It ain’t gonna happen. And honestly, nothing is gonna happen if you don’t make it happen.

Good luck,

HR

PS. Also, don’t forget this. There are lots of folks out there with the shiny equipment, but they are just posers. They will give up at the first snow storm. Give me the guy (or gal) who has nothing but an unstoppable desire to succeed, and that cat will get over the mountain, equiptment or no equiptment. Become one of these. Don’t give up. And you will make more money than you ever dreamed possible.

Re: getting confused and a little frustrated - Posted by mark

Posted by mark on June 14, 2000 at 03:04:56:

I agree with the advice that has been given to you. Reread the program. Do not make any offers on property until you understand what you are doing, but don’t hesitate to call and meet sellers. Ask questions about their properties and do the numbers to see if it’s a deal or not. Post questions to these newsgroups. Just keep learning and moving forward until you understand what you are doing.
Good Luck.