florida tax lien certificates - Posted by john

Posted by Rob FL on December 13, 2000 at 07:44:41:

Tax certificates in Florida cannot be foreclosed until 2 years have passed from the date the certificate was sold. They must be foreclosed within 7 years or else the lien will expire.

To foreclose, a public auction is held. If there are no buyers, the property is put on the counties list of available properties. Once the tax deed sale has occurred, there is no redemption period. However, the owner does have 4 years from the deed date to overturn the sale due to improper sale procedures.

For non-homestead property, the minimum bid is the amount of all property taxes owed against the property. For homestead property, the minimum bid is the greater of all property taxes owed or 50% of its assessed value.

Hope that helps.

florida tax lien certificates - Posted by john

Posted by john on December 12, 2000 at 17:19:34:

my question has to deal with tax lien certificates in florida.does anyone know what the redemption period is for a non-homestead and homestead tax lien certificate? please correct me if i am wrong.if a tax lien certificate is near maturity in florida and is not redemed does the lien holder obtain the property or the county, and does the certificate become invalid? anyone who has done these deals in florida with info and advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks john

I have good links for FL and other states… - Posted by howard-nyc

Posted by howard-nyc on December 13, 2000 at 19:11:18:

email me directly and I will send you some links. There are books available for each state. I know one gentleman in FL who started with $50,000 and over 10 years it grew to $300,000.

The important point about FL is that their system creates many competitors at the foreclosure auction. Whereas in NJ, you are able foreclose directly in your own name and there is no one competing with you at the court house steps.

hth,
howard