Florida Landlords - Questions - Posted by Steve-FL

Posted by Rich[FL] on October 21, 2002 at 13:09:54:

Great post Jim. I never knew this web site existed! What a great resource for all, not just the Florida investors!

Thanks a million…

Rich

Florida Landlords - Questions - Posted by Steve-FL

Posted by Steve-FL on October 20, 2002 at 12:36:48:

Hi all!

I have some questions for Florida Landlords. I’ve only lived in FL for 3 yrs, and have no experience here as a landlord. I had some rental property in CA, but need to understand what the “norms” are for FL, as I’m buying my first rental here.

1. What appliances are normally included in a single family home rental? CA norm was range included, but no fridge or washer/dryer. Same here?

2. Planning on including water to encourage tenant to keep yard watered. Tenant to pay for other utilities. This okay?

3. What about pest control? This is a big issue in FL, particularly termites (this is a frame house). I’m thinking of paying for termite control, and leaving the rest up to the tenants…

4. Yard maintenance – My plan is to require tenant to maintain the yard. Yard is in “fair” condition now, nothing fancy.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you can offer in these areas. Many thanks in advance.

Steve-FL

Re: Florida Landlords - Questions - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on October 20, 2002 at 22:51:48:

Steve,
I am an investor in Florida, but, most of my properties are sold via lease option, not straight rentals.
However, I’ll take a stab at your questions:

You asked:
“1. What appliances are normally included in a single family home rental? CA norm was range included, but no fridge or washer/dryer. Same here?”

REPLY:
This is up to you.
For me, when I have a straight rental (I sell most houses with a L/O, so it is a little different for those.)
Anyway, when I have a rental unit, I include a stove, refrigerator only, no washer or dryer, and only provide a dishwasher if there was one in the unit when I bought it.
I also state in my lease that the appliances are provided as a curtesy, so if they break or need to be replaced, I won’t.
These are just FREE items left in the place for the tenants convenience, but not something I provide, or the tenants pay for.
Each landlord is there own person, so some do, some don’t.
The choice is yours.

You then asked:
“2. Planning on including water to encourage tenant to keep yard watered. Tenant to pay for other utilities. This okay?”

REPLY:
Sure, this is okay, but rather than just provide water to “Encourage watering”, you might want to include a clause in your lease which makes the tenants responsible for keeping the landscaping up.
I have one, and it basically says that if the tenant does not keep the landscaping up, they are violating the lease.
Watering, mowing, trimming etc would be upkeep, so the tenant MUST take care of these items.

Next Question:
“3. What about pest control? This is a big issue in FL, particularly termites (this is a frame house). I’m thinking of paying for termite control, and leaving the rest up to the tenants…”

REPLY:
Again, this is personal preference.
I do not provide quartlerly pest control or anything, and do make the tenants make sure the place is free from vermin in my lease.
But, when I have a woodframe house, I will get an inspection done, and the house treated if needed.
I found a place that for under $500 will spray a place, and give a warranty for a year stating that if termites do come in, they will treat the infestation.
This is to protect my property, not service the tenants.
The tenants are to keep the place clean and free from pests. Pest control is on the tenants.
Does this mean they all do this?
No.
I do get houses back after move outs and evictions that need pest treatment here and there, but thankfully, not too many.

You asked:
“4. Yard maintenance – My plan is to require tenant to maintain the yard. Yard is in “fair” condition now, nothing fancy.”

REPLY:
As said above, I do this, UNLESS it is an apartment.
With a single family, the tenants are responsible for keeping the yard mowed, bushes trimmed etc.

For some resources on landlord tenant issues in general, check out www.mrlandlord.com
This is a GREAT website for landlords.
Jeff Taylor does this one, and he knows his stuff.
I’ve learned a TON of good info from him, from good ways to manage, to ways to increase cash flow.

And, for more specific Florida Landlord info, such as laws etc, check out: www.floridalandlord.com

HTH,
Jim FL