Finding a nice For Sale yard sign? - Posted by Heather - MI

Posted by Shenesa on November 13, 2000 at 15:37:38:

Try Lowes or either call a realtors office and ask.

Much Success!

Shenesa,NY

Finding a nice For Sale yard sign? - Posted by Heather - MI

Posted by Heather - MI on November 13, 2000 at 15:34:10:

I’m buying a fixer next week, and am going to put it back on the market, selling it FSBO. I’d like to get a nice yard sign, like the ones Realtors use (with the attachable box you can put the flyers in). I looked at my local Home Depot, but no luck. Anybody have any ideas on where I can get these signs?

Thanks a lot,
Heather
Linden, Michigan

Re: Finding a nice For Sale yard sign? - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on November 13, 2000 at 18:45:39:

Heather,

Here are a few things to think about.

I once had two near-identical rehabbed houses for sale on the same block. I listed one with a national broker and just stuck a cheap for sale sign in front of the other. My expectation was that the nice, broker sign (which also included my name and personal phone number, since I am licensed) would draw much more activity. I figured I could divert buyers toward the un-listed house, thereby saving one commission. Lo and behold, the cheap sign drew many more calls from buyers. (Another wrinkle, although the cheap sign drew more calls, none were qualified. I ended up selling both houses through realtors looking at the listed home.)

I continue to find that I can get calls from my own sign in the front yard, but the buyers are not nearly as qualified as those brought by agents. I often struggle about the amount of time I spend wading through unqualified buyers when I FSBO, compared to the saved commissions.

I operate on a bit bigger scale now, so my sign tactic is different. I now concentrate my rehabs in a single zip code. This geographic concentration is a big help in many respects, including marketing. I currently have ten rehabs (nine of which are completed, and five of which are under contract for sale). Having multiple houses in one area lends itself to name recognition. I use the same sign at every house and I often get calls asking about 2 or 3 houses someone noticed with my sign. Based on this, I use professional looking signs that stand out and give me some respectability.

As for the details of my signs, I get them made at FastSigns. (You might want to get a price from more than one FastSign store. They are individually owned and prices can vary significantly.) I use a bright yellow, two-sided 18"x24" aluminum sign in a black steel frame. This color stands out.

My sign says: House for Sale (in big letters); $850 Moves You In! (also big letters), then my company name and phone number in smaller letters. There is a local loan program that, in fact, will finance everything except for $850, or so. I think the most important words on my sign are “$850 Moves You In”. Many of my prospects’ attention is grabbed by this line.

In summary, if you are on a small scale, I think a cheap sign is fine. Just be sure it is visible. If you get bigger, consider nicer signs. In either case, I strongly recommend the use of the phrase mentioned above.

Ron Guy

Re: Finding a nice For Sale yard sign? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on November 13, 2000 at 18:12:13:

Heather,
My signs are not nearly as nice as a RE agents signs, but they are effective.
Being cheap, I have several different types of signs.
I use the corrugated plastic FSBO signs from any hardware store, as well as some old RE agent signs given to me by an ex-agent, that I repainted.
You can buy a flyer box at just about any hardware store, or home improvement center.
When I first started and money was REALLY tight, I used the corrugated plastic signs from the hardware store, but not the cheap little wire framed ones.
I used the heavier metal framed signs, and made my own flyer box.
I took a pice of 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe, and attached a cap to the ends.
I then just wrote on it, “Take one” and placed the flyers inside.
If you are offering good terms, the only thing your sign needs to be is visible.
I even bought a set of those plastic multi-colored flags to place in the yard when doing open houses.

I’d say, go cheap if you can, and save the cash.
Every little bit helps, and people will not reject your home because the sign is not to there liking.

HTH,
Jim IL

Lowes = Sign + Flyer tube (nt) - Posted by Rosie_FL

Posted by Rosie_FL on November 13, 2000 at 16:48:20:

Lowes = Sign + Flyer tube (nt)