EIN - Posted by Ellen Lyons

Posted by jeff on October 26, 2002 at 16:50:33:

i have a single member LLC and also received an EIN from the government. as far as not NEEDING one, possibility. i have one, but i guess id survived without it.

but along the same lines, i did not NEED my LLC, but it helps, so thats the same guide line id considered when going for the EIN.

i did run into problems with the EIN myself though, i had to apply for it like 2 or 3 times. the bank did everythign for me while i was setting up my accounts, so im not real sure what the problem was. i do remember it was somethign to do with the single member part having to be filled in exactly a certain way. my sugestion is to simply let the bank do your stuff for you as well, assuming you can find one thatll go this far (it amazed me that they did it for me for free). they had all the paperwork needed, i just signed the dotted lines they needed me to sign.

EIN - Posted by Ellen Lyons

Posted by Ellen Lyons on October 26, 2002 at 09:06:54:

I have set up 3 LLC’s. (Thank you all for answering previous questions) The IRS form SS-4 to apply for the EIN says one is not needed for an LLC. I don’t want to use my SS# for the bank accounts. Which box do I check on the form under “reason for applying?” If I say “formed a new business” I have to put LLC. Will they reject the request? Or should I check “banking purpose,” but then they want me to specify a reason. And, just to clarify my thinking, I should get a different EIN for each LLC, right? These are not partnership LLC’s.

Re: EIN - Posted by KC Questions

Posted by KC Questions on October 26, 2002 at 21:36:01:

When you fill out the SS-4 form, there should be a spot on there that says disregarded entity (which the LLC is when there is only one member). If you have any other questions, you can always call the IRS.