Does skin color affect results? - Posted by rm

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on August 17, 2004 at 20:50:03:

Bought a brick house three weeks ago and the brickwork was painted blue. I will have to change that to sell it period but for now it makes a good rental.

Does skin color affect results? - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on August 17, 2004 at 15:44:21:

My rehab guy wants to paint a house light blue with dark blue trim.

When I started in real estate, my broker used to say, “Blue houses- hardest ones to sell.”

Do you have any preferred exterior color combos that re-sell well… any that you’ve found that don’t work?

Re: Does skin color affect results? - Posted by TaMo

Posted by TaMo on August 23, 2004 at 13:53:33:

A common approach a lot of people that work in graphics and other visual media use is to find a photo of something natural that is pleasing to the eye. Some examples might be a flower, a tree, a bird, etc. Then pick out the color palette from that picture and use them in similar proprtions. You may want to restrict your subject matter (I wouldn’t want to end up with a flamingo inspired house), but the general idea has been applied in every visual medium I can think of rather successfully.

TaMo

Re: Does skin color affect results? - Posted by John-Fl

Posted by John-Fl on August 17, 2004 at 20:30:16:

Recently hired a painter to take the color samples to the paint store and buy both of the samples I gave him. I came back the next day to see a sunshine bright yellow house with white trim. He got one of the colors right… the white trim. I was highly disappointed but one thing is for sure… it stands out and with all of the red mulch, plants and green door it looks really good.

Re: Does skin color affect results? - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on August 17, 2004 at 17:31:14:

-I’ve painted 2 houses a light yellow with white trim, and had contracts within 2 weeks.
-Once left a house pink (existing vinyl) that I wish I would have painted.
-Usually go with beige or brown with light trim, might do a brown skirt.
-Did one with creme walls, light green skirt, lighter green trim. Looked great, had 5 good offers 1st week.
-Sometimes I’ll do grey walls, dark green trim. Good results.

• We flirted with the idea of a light blue last weekend, but haven’t gotten that bold yet.

Mostly I go by the neighborhood. There are some I buy in where bolder colors would fit in well, and make the house stand out more. I’m always pretty conservative. The 2 yellow houses, they were only yellow because we forgot to tell painters what we wanted. The grey/green we did that because we were absolutely SICK of seeing the same combos all the time.

I say go with the conservative colors 95% of the time. Most of our houses are frame siding. When we get brick, we have to consider the brick when choosing.

If you want examples, I can email you some “afters”.

color - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on August 17, 2004 at 16:15:48:

go to any new development and see the exteriror colors.

go to a siding supply business and ask what are there top 3 colors sold.

go to a paint store and ask what are there top 3 colors for exterior paint.

white, tan, almond, clay.

stay away from floral colors unless you’re in the Bahamas.

I’d stay away from blue, green, yellow, red, orange, black, and even brown, but that’s me.

Stay away from fad colors. remember avacodo, harvest gold kitchens?

Re: Does skin color affect results? - Posted by Hot Rod

Posted by Hot Rod on August 17, 2004 at 16:07:02:

Would you want to live in a blue house??? Chances are, no one else will either. Don’t let your hired paint you into a corner.

Hot Rod

Re: Does skin color affect results? - Posted by rehabber

Posted by rehabber on August 17, 2004 at 15:56:19:

Taupe, biege, tan are popular neutral colors
now. A taupe body with beige trim around windows/doors
looks sharp, but still is neutral so nobody will
say “yuck”.

Please do - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on August 18, 2004 at 09:19:23:

send some examples.

Thanks.