Does Carlton Sheet's course work from home? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Anne_ND on July 09, 2001 at 23:24:25:

Mike,

There’s a guy on this site who was mostly deaf, and he partnered with friends and family (as I remember) to do deals on the phone. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. You make money with your brain and your heart in this biz, not your legs. Read some posts by Bill Gatten on how many houses he’s bought sight unseen!! Check out the main newsgroup for more good info to help you.

take care,
Anne

Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on July 09, 2001 at 24:27:29:

My biggest concern is I can’t go around showing properties to sell or rent or looking around for properties to buy. Can the Carlton Sheets course work for me without me leaving home or do I have to go out a lot? Also, after the money spent on the course, how much more can I expect to spend? I need strictly no money down deals and I have no credit (I am currently in bankruptcy status). Thank you for your help!

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Ann

Posted by Ann on July 13, 2001 at 18:24:02:

Think of it this way: in a way, you’re ahead; LeGrand says “the less I do, the more I make”. Learn to hire things done–showing, getting pictures or video made,
use lock boxes, courier services, fax, online access to county records if available, use buyer’s broker; run ads to get motivated sellers to call you; focus on some investments that dont’ require a lot of running around… I’m just thinking off top of my head; I have similar probs from time to time. I’m still not so crafty as to be able to accurately guess what the inside of a house looks like.
I’m glad you posted; I enjoyed reading the helpful of the posts, like Ray’s.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Lor

Posted by Lor on July 11, 2001 at 16:46:49:

Hey Mike, Try picking up an older course on ebay for $20 and judge for yourself whether you think it can work. I bought my personal residence from my neighbor (owner financed). The couple across the street bought their house from their landlord (owner financed). My friend Denise bought her dream ranch down the road by leaving a note in the owner’s mailbox every couple of months asking that they call her if they ever decided to sell (owner financed). Work with what you have - the ability to get around your neighborhood on crutches or in a wheelchair. Your disability isn’t necessarily a disadvantage. Start cultivating your friends and neighbors. Let them know what you are trying to do and how badly you really want to get started. Best of luck.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Subodh

Posted by Subodh on July 11, 2001 at 24:45:31:

I know of a gentleman who cannot speak nor can hear. He does many real estate transactions just using his computer. He only buys and sells.
I am not sure if he is a Carlton’s course subscriber or not but he is doing well in the business. You can too.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Ray

Posted by Ray on July 10, 2001 at 11:27:52:

Mike, Most of us realized there was some thing wrong when we read your “Post”. Don’t let a terryr get to you. I am sure after thinking about it he is sorry. And Mike, there are no “big shots” here. Just people trying to get ahead. Some wanting help and other willing to help. We all know that terryr was “off base”, so forget it…
"
Now, as to your problem. Yes, I think you can do it. You would need a couple of things. First, think of how many people you know that paid Uncle Sam last year. Maybe that doctor? Maybe some family members? Go to them and offer to give them 99% of the depreciation on any property on which they advance you the down payment. That means they are going to be partners with you and own 99%. Don’t worry about that because your agreement is going to call for you to be the controlling partner with your 1%. Also, your agreement is going to say that as soon as the partnership has paid them the return OF (not “ON”) their down payment money, they become the 1% partner and you become the 99% partner. Another thing your agreement will say is, as the controlling partner, you have the sole say, as to if and when, any property will be refinanced or sold. Now think about it Mike. Say the doctor gives you $10,000 and you purchase a $80,000 property. He will get from $3000 to $4000 tax write off a year. (You will need a good CPA) In about 3 or 4 years he has made back his down payment money from tax write offs. I don’t know where you live but the house should appreciate at least 4% a year, so after 4 years it should be worth at least about $90,000. Without getting too involved with all the numbers, like mortgage pay down etc, you should begin to see the potential for you.

The other thing you need is a good young real estate broker. Get one that is just starting out and is “hungry”. Tell him you will use him as your broker if he will (1) Advise you of any deals that he runs across that fits your investment plans, and (2) will go look at and help you evaluate any properties you have located by your following up on newspaper ads over the phone…

Now one other thing you need to consider. Because of large medial bills you may pick up a few judgments. You will want to protect yourself and your investor. You need to find some one you really, really trust to act as a ‘trustee’ for you. A son, daughter, wife. I don’t know? Ths is a legal problem. I am not going to get into this, except to say it can be done. You need to pose this question to a good real estate attorney. You can do it Mike! Good luck, Ray B.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Andy T.

Posted by Andy T. on July 10, 2001 at 24:38:08:

I believe you can do it. You can offer people or scouts some money on houses they find for you, if the deal works out, you can give them the amount you agreed on and you have the house and they have the money. You can do anything, there is always a way. You just have to be positive and not let the bad days get you down. Maybe you can even get a partner to help do the leg work for you, and you can me the CEO doing all the paper work and office and phone calls. But I know you can make it work if you don’t give up and keep your goals and dreams in front of you.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Sandie

Posted by Sandie on July 09, 2001 at 14:26:57:

Dear Mike:
I just recently purchased this cousre as well. I really liked it a lot and I am anxious to get started. But, I agree with Sue…you can’t do it strictly from home. I’m sure you can get people to show the homes or apartments once they are YOURS…but, while you are looking for property to buy, you need to be ‘out there’ and really LOOKING. I’m not sure of your situation (a handicap perhaps, or just long job hours?) but, if it is only a matter of long job hours, it CAN be done. It won’t be easy, but it DEFINITELY would be worth it if you can climb your way up the financial ladder from where you are presently. Also, in answer to your second question, the answer that Carleton gives is that you do NOT need any more money to invest, but if you do have money, that can just open more doors for you. I believe that there ARE many NO money down opportunities out there, you just need to look for them.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Sue

Posted by Sue on July 09, 2001 at 12:33:53:

Mike, I sent for the course and I like it. I haven’t done anything yet. You really need to be a self starter. For no money down you really need a partner or a house that someone is willing to finance or hold the mortgage. But, I do believe there are such deals out there. You just have to look for them. And that means getting out and driving neighborhoods, talking to lots of people and getting the word out. So, I would say, no, you can’t do it strictly from home. Sue

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Sebastian

Posted by Sebastian on July 13, 2001 at 08:19:30:

I concur with Ray. He’s presented a good “creative” alternative to using partners and others to help you accomplish your goals. Sadly, there are a few people in this world that love misery. Watch out for them, they want you to join them! =) They will (thinking they’re actually helping you!?!?) discourage you and your dreams.

Focus on your goals! Write them down, commit to them… This is the very first “technique” that Carleton teaches… Also, Carleton’s newest version of his course has an extensive chapter using the Internet to invest in RE…

All this to encourage you and to let you know that this board is here to help you! I wish you the best! Sebastian

Thanks for a Great Post, Ray…(nt) - Posted by Irving

Posted by Irving on July 10, 2001 at 12:28:23:

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on July 09, 2001 at 23:12:41:

Terryr, I cannot walk without the use of crutches and even then for very short periods of time. For longer periods of time I need my wheelchair. I fell and severely broke an ankle 12 years ago. It required surgery to correct, but the doctor botched the surgery and worsened my problem. I needed 3 more operations just to keep the foot, which is now nearly useless. I trusted my doctor too much to place the blame on him but by the time I realized he was at fault, the statute of limitations had expired so I could not sue for malpractice. Adding insult to injury, I maxed out my insurance benefits and was left with thousands of dollars in medical bills, which is why I had to file chapter 13. That’s it for my personal life. I asked a question, so thank you to those who answered it. I didn’t come for personal attacks from strangers. Don’t worry, I won’t come back to annoy you real estate big shots with my “laziness”.

Re: Does Carlton Sheet’s course work from home? - Posted by terry

Posted by terry on July 10, 2001 at 10:21:17:

the course works,but think about this you have to look at the properties,or have someone you trust to look or partner with,As for Graystone out of Texas I had their program and sent back for a refund they charge very high interest,which could be argued that if you own a property and it cash flows it doesnt matter what the interest rate is but there are many other options now,and lower interest makes positive cash flow easier.GOOD luck with your situiation and dont let smart ASS people get you down,You can do anything you BELIVE is possible,without your belief nothing is possible. contact HUD (202)708-2700 ABOUT 203b LOANS ALSO TRY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE AND MAKE THEM AWARE OF YOUR DISABILITY MAYBE THEY HAVE SPECIAL PROGRAMS FOR PEOPLE IN YOUR SITUIATION.GOOD LUCK TERRY