Does anyone use ARV x .75% minus fixes? - Posted by Trapper

Re: Too thin - Posted by whyK-CA

Posted by whyK-CA on April 04, 2005 at 12:41:45:

KJ, do you find driving around a good way to find deals in your market? I?m not sure if this is one of your main way to get deals or not, but what kind of neighborhoods do you look into?

I?m in No. Cal, where the market is like yours, very high priced and still very much seller?s market. (BTW: You?re right, it doesn?t make sense to stick with percentage formula to find deals in high price market.) Investors are all over the place. It is very difficult finding ugly houses in mid to high price range (500K and above).

I haven?t driven around in lower priced area (400Ks for SFR) looking for ugly houses but I?m asking myself if I should do that or not. These are the area with lots of junkey cars and window bars, but not much of bullets. In my county we don?t really have a ?war zone?, per say. Just yesterday I was doorknocking and I went into such a neighborhood. There was this piece of junk condominium, comp-ed for $280K, which I had hard time believing someone pays that much money for that place. I guess I need some adjustment.

Re: Too thin - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on April 04, 2005 at 10:51:18:

Dave,

Yea, I know, 110 - 150K, that’s a 1 car garage / 2 car garage. No, not the house, we’re talking garages here.

Can’t wait to get back into the real world, very soon, very soon.

KJ

Re: Does anyone use ARV x .75% minus fixes? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on April 06, 2005 at 14:08:38:

Dave,

I don’t think anyone’s ever admired my stones, so I’ll take that as a compliment. My husband has told me a few times to take my balls off and hang them back up in the closet, but I think he’s making an attempt to put me in my place. :slight_smile:

Anyway, yeah, that 19k doesn’t sound so good when you call it 8%, so I see where’ you’re coming from. This turned out to be a good, hassle free deal, so it works, but you never know that up front do you? We made 57k on one deal last year (our best ever) and it was one of the worst 6 months of my life. It wasn’t worth one penny of the hassle. Not one cent.

Re: Does anyone use ARV x .75% minus fixes? - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on April 06, 2005 at 13:47:46:

Dave?

“When you stop and consider a broker will make 6% on the sale with no enreprenurial risk whatsoever, to me it seems a wild risk for the couple extra percent you are picking up.” Come again?

I’m not defending brokers here, but that statement gave me a ‘brain boing’ on a few levels. I bet if you thought that one through one more time, and added the cost of ads, agent splits, rent, E&O, and all the other things the broker takes on, her cut starts looking SPENDABLE to me.

Just a good natured rib…

KJ

Re: Too thin - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on April 04, 2005 at 13:49:48:

whyK,

If you do velocity deals like many of the successful REI posters on this board do, my method would consume too much time to make it worth doing.

I like the rehab niche because I grew up doing construction (My sister even MOVES houses, she’s my hero in the rehab biz. Her latest project is a 3500 sqft house from the late 1800’s).

I do this part time to support my inventing Jones, and have other businesses that cash flow. My big problem is if I don’t have a project lined up that requires some type of hammering, I go into withdrawals. That’s the price I pay for 45 years on that drug.

I drive around to pick and choose neighborhoods where I expect my tools will be safe, as an example, and where I could imagine myself living without fear of overly stupid situations rearing their ugly heads. I’m not an ‘in and out, turn and burn’ kind of guy, don’t have to be.

I have no problem finding ugly houses in my part of LA. Doesn’t mean you can land every deal you think is a good candidate, just that I don’t think there will ever be a shortage, here at least.

Here’s where driving around pays a benefit. Everyday you drive down the same highway(s) on your way to work, passing the same subdivisions you have for years, yet you have never turned into one of the streets leading into that subdivision, or neighborhood. One day you just decide to check it out and you find that here is a neighborhood that fits your criteria, and yea, there are a few older homes that need your touch. You makes notes of the property from what vantage points are available to you, and you start your DD on the neighborhood.

If you don’t know the comps in that area you will have no idea what you would Pay or Sell for. You know from experience what the prices are at HD or 84 or Lowes, so when you get access to the property later on, you have a good idea what your rehab costs will be, they’re fairly standard, and you can then pencil out your offer. Will the owner take it? Who knows?

But here’s what you know, you now know what that neighborhood sells for, and the kinds of houses that are in it, and that info can prove to give you a jump on your competition when a distressed property from there comes on the market.

This method has made me close to a half a million dollars, so when all the velocity snipers jump in to tell you what an idiotic idea this is, let 'em rip, it won’t change my reality, that’s for sure.

KJ

whyK-CA - Posted by Rosendo

Posted by Rosendo on April 04, 2005 at 13:49:37:

I’m in NorCal also. San Mateo County to be exact. I’ve been able to find two homes for rehab since I started REI. Granted I started and did not even know it at the time in '99. I’m still living in this one. Waiting to reach the 500k cap gains limit to cashout. Probably one or two more years.
I’d llike to find homes in my area but it is very difficult.

Are you strickly a rehabber or do you buy for long term holds also.
I’d like to chat with you if you have time.

Thanks
Rosendo

It was a compliment. - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on April 06, 2005 at 14:46:45:

Appreciate your point. Life is a great learning experiance. When you throw RE into the mix, it just makes life a lot more interesting, don’t you think? It’s nice to know even horror stories can still pay well.

OK - chew on this rib - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on April 06, 2005 at 14:40:41:

KJ,

Brokerage is a business… a marketing business for about 6% gross. I was one, once. Be assured I didn’t make payments, bring payments current, spend fixup money out of pocket, accrue property taxes, etc. We spend money on advertising, spent some time hunting down buyers, and if I couldn’t get it done we lost the listing, and moved onto the next one. We had no incremental downside risk.

You simply cannot compare marketing expenses with the large entreprenurial risks involved in rehabbing houses. That’s why I aim to NET at least TRIPLE the amount a broker would even gross from his 6% marketing efforts. That’s if I engage a broker to do the selling part. The net needs to be higher yet if I take on the marketing as well. That drives all speculation out of it and makes it pretty much a slam-dunk I’ll come out of it OK. Then again, what you guys do in CA doesn’t make sense to me. Glad it works for you.

As always,
-Dave

Re: Too thin - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on April 05, 2005 at 09:45:50:

What’s a “velocity deal”?

Re: OK - chew on this rib - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on April 06, 2005 at 14:48:43:

Dave,

That was tasty, and filling, too. :wink:

KJ