CS Contracts killing deals- HELP! - Posted by Jen (NE)

Re: Not True… - Posted by Joe Kaiser

Posted by Joe Kaiser on December 02, 1998 at 17:43:14:

Are we talking listed properties here? You’re doing deals with listed properties on your own paperwork? I guess whatever floats your boat.

Whenever it’s listed it’s much simpler in my area to just use the standard docs. Properties not listed are a little different story.

Joe

Re: Not True… - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on December 11, 1998 at 09:34:28:

I don’t think that I ever said that an agreement between two people makes a valid contract. Although I have seen it posted elsewhere in this newsgroup and in the other newsgroup. If that is what you understood me to say, then you misunderstood or I wasn’t clear enough in my thought.

I use my own contracts, not any contracts from any course. My contracts contain bits and pieces of things I have learned over the years. My contracts are on my computer and in effect every offer I write is unique. My contracts have been reviewed by a real estate lawyer and are legal. I don’t advocate using any stock contract, including the Board contract without having it reviewed by an attorney.

You are making the assumption that because I use my own contracts, that they are not fair. That is silly.
I have always believed that you shouldn’t take advantage of people. In fact, I couldn’t do things any other way.

I suspect that your post was due in part to my stance that most Realtors are useless to an investor. There is nothing that I can do about that or to prove to you how many deals I have done.

Re: Not True… - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on December 03, 1998 at 15:05:36:

The only reason I need a Realtor is to show me the property. Even that is only for the convenience of the owner.

What does a Realtor do in the average property transaction before the offer is accepted?
You present the offer to the Realtor.
You have to explain the offer to the Realtor.
The Realtor takes the offer to the owner.
The Realtor explains the offer to the owner.
The owner accepts the offer or counters.
The Realtor brings the offer back to me, etc.

Why let the Realtor get in the way. I present my own offers. That way if there are any questions, I can answer them. It’s a whole lot smoother.

And yes I have purchased many properties that were listed by a Realtor.

Re: REALTORS do much more than show properties - Posted by Gary Huron

Posted by Gary Huron on December 05, 1998 at 23:36:05:

Before I got my license I thought all they do is show property. Now that I am a full time REALTOR, showing property to buyers is a very small part of it.

Most people (about 95%) could never sell a property on their own and get more money out of it than what they would get with a REALTOR and that includes paying a commission. They don’t know fair market value and would be giving their homes away. They don’t understand financing, they don’t have the time, don’t qualify buyers, reach more qualified buyers than just a yard sign and newspaper ad, and most of all how to over come problems during the closing period. Most sellers would not know what to do once the offer is accepted. The reason why I know this is because I purchase most of my property from For Sale By Owners.
I don’t take advantage of them it’s because once they know me they talk very freely to me and I go after them for homes to sell (listings, execpt I do more than list, I sell).

When you deal with the general public, you find that most people do not understand how to buy or sell real estate. That is why REALTORs have been around for over 150 years in this country.

Now! With an investor, you guys have to be treated much differently. If you are buying property that is listed with a Broker, I strongly suggest that the buyer, seller and REALTOR get together and verbally put together an offer before puting it in writing. I also suggest that the REALTOR says very little during the verbal negotiation stag. His job is to put it in writing exactly as it was agreed to and then have it property executed. Very simple and less time consuming.

I am glad I am here to help.

Good luck investing.

Gary