Credit Repair - DIY? or use an Agency? - Posted by Nate - MI

Posted by Amos Goodman on February 07, 2004 at 19:46:41:

In a word “no.” Under the law you have a right to contest anything in your credit reports that appear to be inaccurate. You can challenge anything that appears in it and the credit bureaus have to open an investigation with the creditors making the report. I doubt if the credit bureaus pay any more attention to letters written by attorneys or so-called “credit repair agencies.” These agencies are probably scams. They try to get you to use a slightly different or phony social security number which is a violation of federal law. I wouldn’t use them. Just contact the three main credit bureaus and they will tell you how to contest inaccuracies.

Credit Repair - DIY? or use an Agency? - Posted by Nate - MI

Posted by Nate - MI on February 07, 2004 at 09:42:58:

The issue of repairing one’s credit comes up on these boards a lot. I too would like to have some things taken off of my credit report. After doing a little research on the topic it seems like this is nothing more then a letter writing process that anyone can do with or without someone helping you.

Has anybody taken the do-it-yourself approach and had good or bad results? Would you do it again?

Is there any practical advantage to using an agency for this service other then not having to deal with it yourself?
Does a letter from an agency or lawyer carry any more weight to the CRA?

Any advice is appreciated.

Nate - MI

Re: Credit Repair - DIY? or use an Agency? - Posted by Bruce Lawson

Posted by Bruce Lawson on February 17, 2004 at 15:30:49:

Hi Nate,

Credit Repair can be done on an idividual basis. Many people choose to use companies that offer credit repair because of the time and effort involved in communicating with the three credit reporting companies. Any company worth their weight that offers and delivers credit repair will be knowledgable in the area of credit reporting laws and consumer rights, along with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Knowing you have rights is one thing knowing how to effectivly communicate for results is another.

Before you listen to bad advise about companies that offer credit repair complete your investigation and make your decision. Sometimes the fee is worth it.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson

Re: Credit Repair - DIY? or use an Agency? - Posted by bessie

Posted by bessie on February 08, 2004 at 13:42:31:

You can do-it-yourself its just a matter of time. Its a time consuming process. I used a credit repair agency because I did not want to nor did I have the time and the cost was worth it for me. I wanted to spend my time finding real estate deals. But, I needed to improve my credit report FICO score. A better use of my time was staying in on top of them and making sure I got what I paid for. Shop around talk with a few and make your decision.

Re: DIY? or use an Agency? - Posted by James Mc (IL)

Posted by James Mc (IL) on February 08, 2004 at 02:20:11:

I’ve used Lexington law and they did a good job for me. However, you can do this yourself.

creditinfocenter.com and creditboards.com are the two main sites. creditinfocenter.com is easier to use to find the fact. creditboards.com has manny people that use the boards like this site to explain what works and what doesn’t.

James Mc