Convention worthwhile for a newbie? - Posted by SueC

Posted by Jackie-GA on December 21, 2000 at 24:07:14:

I live in the Atlanta area and I suggest www.clarkhoward.com (check the travel section on the home page).

He’s a local consumer guru who lists travel bargains daily. While the stie indicates travel from Atlanta, a lot of the fares and codes work when coming to Atlanta as well.

Convention worthwhile for a newbie? - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on December 20, 2000 at 15:24:47:

Greetings all,

I’m just getting starting in REI, and have been doing lots of homework and looking at properties, reading courses, made a few offers, nothing accepted yet, did find one I passed along to another investor, etc., and now I’m wondering whether to go to the convention. I feel like I’d get more out of it with a little more experience under my belt, and I’m looking for an honest evaluation of the experience for a real newbie. I’m only really able to do REI part time right now, so to spend hundreds on the trip (when I might do something like get more involved in my local investor group, etc. at less cost) just has me in a quandry. There is so much good advice here, listening to the glowing reviews of the convention are hard to ignore, but I have no way to evaluate whether the trip is worth it for someone just beginning.

Any feedback is much appreciated,

SC

Airfares - Posted by Rick(CA)

Posted by Rick(CA) on December 20, 2000 at 19:04:13:

As a frequent traveller (for business and pleasure) I would recommend Travelocity for anyone concerned with finding cheap airfare. I’ve used Priceline before and they can certainly get you cheap fares as well, but you are at their mercy as to the times you fly (can you say Redeye?)

Travelocity let’s you pick the date and time and see who offers the cheapest fares, the flight number and times, etc. Everything you need to know. The sooner you purchase, the cheaper the fare. Priceline works on just the opposite end. They get cheap, last minute fares on empty, non-primetime flights. Don’t get me wrong, I love pricelines services (not just airfare), but if you want control and good prices, then I recommend travelocity.

Please bear in mind that you may not always find good fares from your local area. If that’s the case, try an alternate airport near you or add an extra stop instead of a straight through flight. I generally hate layovers, deplaning, etc., but if money were an issue then airlines offer you better prices to do so.

Just my 2 cents from experience.

Re: Convention worthwhile for a newbie? - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 20, 2000 at 18:04:12:

Hi Sue,

From an old investor, I can tell you that Steve Cook was there in Dallas two years ago as a fairly new investor. Since that time two years ago he has thrived. Now I’m not saying you will be as successful as Steve, but I can gurantee that you will leave the convention with more money making ideas than you will be able to put in practice. You will meet like minded people. The networking will be increadible and you will meet some of my heroes like JPiper, Ed Garcia and Terry Vaughn among others.

Many have said in the past that this convention is a life changing event. And by attending the last two, I understand that statement.

You will not be disappointed. The newer you are the more you will learn. Hope to see you there.

P.S. the sooner you sign up… - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on December 20, 2000 at 15:45:34:

the more you save. Airline tickets are cheap if you buy them now. Look into it.

Re: Convention worthwhile for a newbie? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on December 20, 2000 at 15:43:42:

Sue,

I was a newbie at my first convention, the energy was absolutely incredible. You can not possibly learn as much at your local investment club in one year as you will at the convention over the course of a weekend. I don’t know how to put the feeling into words. You meet hundreds of other investors, from beginners to seasoned pros. The knowledge that is in the room is incredible and everyone shares it.

I would highly recommend attending the convention.

Steve