cheapest but nice...walls for rentals - Posted by bak

Posted by Ken-Orlando on May 16, 2009 at 07:27:32:

Thanks, Tye.

I think I will bring along an electronic language translator before I make the trip. Some of these gadgets include all the European languages, as well as Mandarin and Arabic.

Ken

cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by bak

Posted by bak on May 14, 2009 at 06:07:53:

Hello Colleagues:

I am looking at an inexpensive way to cover up walls in a 4 bedroom house that have had the walls troweled, which is now peeling…don’t want to remove it - don’t know if lead paint is underneath - and don’t want to spend the money for drywalling over it, sanding, then painting…
…I am thinking about putting up white paneling (not the walnut color of course common during the Brady Bunch era), or texture spray-coating…what do you think is cheaper? Any other approaches that will save $ and still look nice?
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

thanks! Bruce

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by Twain

Posted by Twain on May 17, 2009 at 21:31:08:

Costa Rica looks nice,

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by Mike Reilly

Posted by Mike Reilly on May 16, 2009 at 22:35:19:

Install 1/4" drywall, and finish normally.

It will look great, at minimal expense.

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on May 14, 2009 at 16:50:16:

Here is a technique I’ve used to cover wallpaper-damaged walls in my own home:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2005/arc_90/90994.html

I’ve also discussed painted paneling:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2007/arc_51/51375.html

Cheap paneling, painted correctly, looks great, but I don’t like the stuff that is already painted. The latter still looks cheap.

You can combine paneling, installed as wainscoating w/the faux Venetian plaster technique. However, in my own home, I prefer beaded board (again, not pre-finished). The trick w/wainscoating to make it look more luxurious, is to install it higher than what is usually seen.

You can see the combination of beaded board & faux plaster by clicking on the Rogue’s Lair album & checking the bathroom photos at:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sailorpics

Using sprayed texture walls depends on geography. In my area they would not be considered an asset. I figure if you are going to have to re-do something it should be done to be an advantage, a sales point. It takes about the same amount of time & money to make something attractive as it does to make it ugly. I think it is fun to take a disadvantage & turn it into an attribute. If I was looking for a new wall technique I’d google & search HGTV.com.

Tye

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by bak

Posted by bak on May 17, 2009 at 05:30:48:

Thanks! I know to expect about $5 a sheet of 1/4" drywall, but for a 10 x 12 room,for example, how much time would you expect it to take to install, mud, sand? I want to be sure my Contractor is charging me the correct amount. Also, would you install this drywall directly over the existing troweled-on spackle, or remove it first?

Bruce

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by BAK

Posted by BAK on May 15, 2009 at 16:17:20:

Thanks! I appreciate the great ideas and thorough response. I will do this! regards, bruce

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by camgere

Posted by camgere on May 14, 2009 at 21:12:40:

Wow, Costa Rica looks nice, er muy bonita!

Posted by Sailor on May 15, 2009 at 09:50:43:

Pretty sure I’ve posted about Costa Rica before, one of my fave places on Earth. The photos were taken on a ranch near San Jose where I stay when I go down for medical or dental care, which is incredibly cheap. The food is just as fab as the people (though I must caution that women should never carry purses, nor men carry wallets in their pockets, & backpacks should have padlocks & be carried across the chest).

Tye

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by Ken-Orlando

Posted by Ken-Orlando on May 15, 2009 at 15:13:51:

Sailor,

Do you need to know Spanish to communicate with Costa Ricans or do they speak English?

Posted by Sailor on May 15, 2009 at 17:05:17:

Many speak English extremely well, but a little Spanish helps in shopping the local markets. If you are asking about medical/dental services, Spanish is not required. I took French, Latin & German in school, so on my 1st visit I had no Spanish, except “how much?” I recommend a basic handbook for the language wherever you visit. Even if you just point to the words. Tip: In addition to “how much?” I’ve found it handy to learn “Where is the ladies’ room?”–something for which a friend I somehow failed to prepare for on one trip abroad. Our repeated sign language attempts had a maid at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong initially befuddled, then hysterical.

Tye (who after 25 years can still, however, inquire about price in Cantonese)

Re: cheapest but nice…walls for rentals - Posted by Anne45

Posted by Anne45 on May 20, 2009 at 21:37:21:

Many speak English extremely well, but a little Spanish helps in shopping the local markets. If you are asking about medical/dental services, Spanish is not required.