cheap a house, must be moved - Posted by Curt

Posted by ski on May 30, 2005 at 19:34:02:

Am I missing something here? The owner wants the house moved off a $1 mil. property? The house is worth ?$K. Why not ask the owner if he/she will sell it for $1.00 and you take care of the moving expenses. If I were him I would just demo the place and not worry about the potential sale of the house when I have the 1 mil property,

cheap a house, must be moved - Posted by Curt

Posted by Curt on May 29, 2005 at 17:21:57:

I have just found a 3bed/2bath, thats is in pretty decent shape. It needs a little cosmetic work, a good cleaning, and needs to be moved. A home like this in my area would bring 130K as is, and probably 140K - 150K after cleaned up. I figure its going to cost about 5K - 8K to clean it up.

The home sits in the middle of downdown which of course is zoned commercial. The land under the house is probably worth close to a million dollars. The owner is willing to practically give the house away, but it needs to be moved and quick.

I called every mover, but no one is answering thier phone on a Sunday, so i have no idea what a move would cost. I can get a developed piece of land to put the house on for about 25K to 35K plus the cost of a foundation.

I am wondering if any of you out there have attemped something like this. What kind of numbers would make this worth the huge hassle i’m sure this will turn into? Would a HML touch something like this?

Thanks for your time and have a great day,

Curt

Re: cheap house, must be moved - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on May 30, 2005 at 07:06:13:

Hi Curt,

In my experience the move can be for as little as $12K, but the big cost will be the foundation. I paid $26K for a large Victorian to be picked up, old foundation cleaned out, new one built and house re-settled on top of it. The work was done by a company that usually moves houses (frequently done around here). It also took 9 months from when I gave the guy the first big check and when the house was finally settled. These things do not happen quickly as a rule.

I suggest you pass on this unless you have construction experience.

Anne

Re: cheap a house, must be moved - Posted by jlaass(commercial pm)

Posted by jlaass(commercial pm) on May 29, 2005 at 22:03:09:

I was on the board of trustees at my church and we sold a house cheap and the buyer had it moved less than a mile for about $5K. There are companies that do this regularly. Find one and get an estimate.

Re: cheap a house, must be moved - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 29, 2005 at 19:46:59:

weight and distance are factors. I have a piece of land that someone wants to move a 2 story stone house to. Their pro mover bid it at $100,000 for the move.

Re: cheap a house, must be moved - Posted by Phil

Posted by Phil on May 29, 2005 at 19:06:59:

I’m looking at this another way. I agree that the house could be a real pain and expense to move, and it cannot be done in a hurry. Talk to the guy, tell him you really don’t care much about the house too much. But… If you can solve his problem… and get rid of the house, thereby gaining him access at a million dollar lot… can he cut you in on the lot money he gets, or whatever he plans to do with the lot, say 10 to 15 %, hey it never hurts to ask. Be creative! If not if it were me I’d pass, unless he gave me the house in exchange for moving it.

Re: cheap a house, must be moved - Posted by Kim-OH

Posted by Kim-OH on May 29, 2005 at 17:44:53:

Curt,

There is nothing quick about moving a home unless you do it routinely. I believe you will need several permits, the cooperation of the utility companies to move their lines out of the way and of course having the foundation in place before moving the house will make this a less expensive process than if you have to store the home while the foundation is being poured and finished off.

Mind you I have never moved a home but I do know folks who have and it’s not usually a simple transaction.

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in here but if not you will only have to wait until Tuesday to start gathering the information you will need to make a good decision.