chatroom's scheduald topics - Posted by Kris

Posted by Kris on June 24, 2001 at 14:57:47:

Did you try just re-signing up to get a new password? What happened when you tried that?

chatroom’s scheduald topics - Posted by Kris

Posted by Kris on June 23, 2001 at 23:18:35:

Does anyone out there know what are the schedualed times for certain R.E. topics inside the chatrooms?

speaking of which… - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on June 24, 2001 at 09:40:17:

I signed up for the chatroom a while ago but cannot get in - and at this point I don’t remember my password.

My systems have some very high security settings, and it might be that I am not enabling something that I have to enable to get into the chat room.

Do I have to accept cookies? Active-X? Java? Javascript?

Does your system look at my HTTP header to find out what kind of browser/OS I am using, and permit/deny permission to enter accordingly? (My system lies about my OS and browser).

Re: speaking of which… - Posted by Kris

Posted by Kris on June 24, 2001 at 14:47:26:

Also, you might want to try just signing up for the chatroom again, this time write your password down and put in a place where you can find it. I Did the same thing as you did a while ago so your not alone. I just signed back up and come to think of it, I think I got my same password back from them when I did.

Re: speaking of which… - Posted by Kris

Posted by Kris on June 24, 2001 at 14:43:28:

Not sure if it will work but if your system has High security settings you might want to lower them to “medium” settings. Those are usually the default security settings anyway. I know they are for Internet Explorer, which I use. If thats what you use then just right click on the “e” icon on your desktop, then go to properties, from there go to “security” and make sure the “Internet” Icon is highlighted in the white box at the top. About midway down you’ll see the section “security level for this zone” If your slide bar is all the way to the top (high setting), bring it down a notch to medium, then click “ok”. Hopefully, that should work for you.

Thats about all I know what to do about the security issue. Hope it works.

Re: speaking of which… - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on June 24, 2001 at 14:53:02:

ummm…

Thanks for the input, but when I say “high security” what I mean is that I run a firewall, and two proxy servers between all application software and the internet. My Windows systems filter outgoing packets and rearranges things so that they tell the rest of the world only what I want them to tell, and they filter incoming packets to eliminate anything that I don’t want bothering me.

My Linux systems do all of that and more. I just need to know what I have to allow in if I want to chat. Allowing the “usual suspects” has not helped me yet, and I have no intention of dropping the firewalls or proxies in order to chat.