carpenter bee's - Posted by barney

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on June 17, 2001 at 16:31:04:

If the bees are gone, and they probably are; just fill the holes with plumbers putty. Let it dry and paint over it.

A tip with your painter. If he is a pro (for real) he will probably give you a discount if you do not help. He also will know just how to fix the bee damage.

carpenter bee’s - Posted by barney

Posted by barney on June 17, 2001 at 16:14:15:

I have a house under contract that needs light rehab on the interior, but nothing major. It has cedar siding that has small 3-4 inch trenches all over it and it looks like the work of carpenter bees. It is over a crawlspace and doesn’t show any signs of termite damage, just small holes about the size of a kindergarden pencil and visible trenches (about 25-40 spots) I don’t think there’s any real damage, just doesn’t look good. What’s the best way to repair?

The house is being sold by a tired landlord.

ARV 150K
price 102K
repairs 8K

It appears that the prior tenants were somewhat disgruntled and removed all interior doors, switches, outlets, and all light fixtures inside and out.

This is a late 60’s house but in fairly good shape.

Bathrooms fully functional but dated -1K
kitchen has bad countertops and needs a new range -1K
Gutters need replacement but facia is in good shape -1K
new carpet throughot -1K
Painting interior and exterior (I own airless sprayer and will help a pro) -$800
new fixtures and outlets - $300
new doors installed and painted -$600
Landscaping (removal of undesirable tree branches) 1K

Total 6700

The carpenter bee issue is the only thing I can’t estimate the cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BARNEY

Re: carpenter bee’s - Posted by DB(FL)

Posted by DB(FL) on June 17, 2001 at 19:38:35:

Barney, the c.bees will drill back about an inch or two into the wood and then go at right angles another couple of inches. That is where they keep their larvae. You want to make sure that all is dead in these chanels, so put some pesticide dust in the holes before you cover them over or they will just drill back out. If you don’t have access to that kind of material, then just put some boric acid powder in the holes (most grociery stores and hardware stores have it). But the fact that your seeing visible trenches makes me doubt that they are c.bees. Are you sure it’s cedar and not pecky cypress?