Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Frank

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on December 22, 1998 at 07:25:16:

I understand why you didn’t leave your e-mail address. You would be bombarded with messages from all sorts of people about your post. I am not going to tear into you like I’m sure many people who read this post will want to, but I would like to comment on a few things that you said.

You mentioned in your post that the only way to improve yourself was through work and what you refer to as “real” education- college. I agree that it does take work to improve yourself. Ordering a TV course on real estate will not make you a millionaire in a couple months. Believe it or not, you have to actually go out there and apply what you learned, checking out properties, making calls, putting together offers, etc. You have to take action in order to effect any change or improvement in your life. No course (on TV or in college) will improve your life or financial status without you applying the principles learned therein.

I can appreciate you being proud of your accomplishment in achieving your college degree. I watched my brother work very hard for his bachelor degree. At the same time, however, I believe that it is VERY narrow-minded to assume that the only place to obtain “real” education is from a college. Let me tell you a little about myself. I am a computer administrator for a large manufacturing firm. I handle all computer problems within a user base of 230. I provide instruction on a one-on-one basis and in a classroom occasionally. I manage a Windows NT and HP UNIX server enviroment. I set up new accounts, set database permissions, assign user rights, and maintain network security. I have NO college degree. I ain’t even gots no high school diploma!!! I am 25 years old and responsible for keeping a multi-million dollar company operating day to day. I ensure that the order takers can enter information on the network. I make sure that the information gets to the manufacturing floor, where the order is executed. I ensure that the time spent working on the order is tracked via computer. In short, I am responsible for every step of the manufacturing process that results in the company getting paid, communicating with the outside world, paying its employees, and generally conducting business. (Did I mention that I have no college degree?)

I have learned a great deal in my 25 years. None of the information that I have learned, however, was learned in a college or ANY sort of formal schooling. When I wanted to learn something, I went and found whatever source that I could to provide me with the information that I needed. Sometimes the source of that information would be through some “course” that showed up at my door in 6 to 8 weeks! I think of myself as a very intelligent person, but I’m not the only one!

One of the “courses” that I ordered was Lonnie Scruggs’ books on making money with mobile homes offered on this web site. One of the oddest things happened when I read the information and put it to use…(brace yourself) I made money dealing in buying and selling mobile homes!! Not only that, but now I have a steady, passive monthly income coming from the notes that I created on these mobile homes!

I am almost sure that you are well intentioned by warning people not to buy these courses. I have been scammed a few times myself. At the same time, you should perhaps conduct a bit more research into the area that you are criticizing since you do not seem to have all the facts.

I personally know of, and have seen no money down deals. I’m sure many other real estate investors have used this technique in their dealings. Try posting to News Group I and ask how many people have done a no money down deal. Ask for details. You will be surprised at all the different ways that it can be done.

Your input is appreciated, but do your research before you come out with your guns blazing. It only makes you appear dumb if you start screaming about everybody else not knowing what they are talking about when some of them are doing these deals right now.

Re: Dead Wrong, Frankie. - Posted by Tom Hayward

Posted by Tom Hayward on December 31, 1998 at 13:40:00:

Great Job I just completed the course recently and find it etregging and exciting. Soon I will buy our first home in March then after a while prob 3 years buy duplexes and start growing from there. This site really the key to my dissicion on getting the CS Course. Plus they back up what they say on the tools damage they replace it at no charge. Bought the course and 2 CDs were bad and 3 Video tapes are bad. Gave them a call and now sending those 3 Videos and 2 CD’s FED EX and they told me toss the bad ones. They even told me don’t waste your money sending them back we will handle it on our end. That to me is true customer service 100% Satisfaction… Been reading other R E books that other people sugessted. I know what my goals are and now have direction to achieve them. Carleton Just supplies me with the tools it is up to me to follow through and see what tech is best for the situation in CA… Keep up the success and I could go on and on about this course. It is well worth the money to me just for the knowledge it has gave me… I know I will be successful but I not in a hurry I am willing to take time. Great Story and great job. Happy New Year Tim

Re: Frank, Frank, Frank… - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on December 27, 1998 at 17:27:27:

Wow! I thought I was reading H. L. Mencken for a moment…then I remembered he was dead. A mind IS a terrible thing to waste…especially on an inept college education. Great stuff! -Rich

A hopeful quote for hopeful times. - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on December 23, 1998 at 11:09:15:

“Let’s be very clear about this: A college education does have value, but formal schooling will not teach you how to make money. You probably know some very well educated people who are living a life of financial failure, or at least economic mediocrity. You may be one of them. If you are, take heart: You can overcome your education.”

Russ Whitney
Building Wealth, page 20.

I love it: You can overcome your education. Thank God!!! There’s hope for even us overeducated types! lol

Re: Frank, Frank, Frank… - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on December 23, 1998 at 05:44:25:

In case you can’t hear that, it is a standing ovation!!! Wow, I could not have put it any better myself, and I used to do some writing, some of which has been published. (By the way, I’m the first uneducated slob who responded to Frank’s posting.) The only thing that I was about to add to your post was that Frank should try his best to scrape up the $15 for Rich Dad, Poor Dad until you said it. (Look at that, it turns out we’re both Robert Kiyosaki spies, too!) I’m sure that your post accurately reflects the sentiment of the vast majority of posters to this board. Thank you for stating it so well.
By the way, thanks for the creative idea on use of house equity for making deals work. The only problem I see is that I can’t find the college course you learned that from, so I really don’t think it will work. Just some friendly advice. (In case you didn’t hear that one either, it was VERY loud laughter!)

Your post is one of the few that I have printed out to hold onto… thanks again.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on December 22, 1998 at 11:03:36:

I was not putting down anyone who did not go to college. My father is a welder, and I have the utmost respect for him although he only finished high school.

What I was saying was that these deals on tv are scams. Just read the messages on this post. Can you believe that people pay $180 for this course, almost all of the money they have, only to have that that jerk call them up for $2000. I agree with you: the best way to learn is from an expert. That means college for some subjects, or someone more experienced for others.

But Carleton has no interest in your success. He wants to take your money, and as much as he can. Because he realizes that that’s where the real fortune is to be made. He preys on people who are really low financially. I live on very little right now, and I know what it’s like to live on $11000 a year. He puts these unrealistic people on TV as a scam.

I just want to provide the other viewpoint which I don’t think is very represented on this post, that’s all. I’m sorry if I suggested in any way that college is the only way to go; I don’t believe that. But I DO believe that Carleton Sheets is a scam artist.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Cesar

Posted by Cesar on December 22, 1998 at 11:38:36:

Wow! Did Carlton do something to you or your family that we should know about?

First of all, have you ever seen the course materials or anything else related to it? Have you seen the information, good or bad, that it has to offer?

2)When you went to college and got your coveted “degree”, did you use ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that you learned in your classes to your advantage, or was there some content in them that you just “passed by” or slept through? (By the way, I do not have ANY degree, and have been self employed for over 6 years. Some years are good, some are bad, but that’s MY decision, not my bosses’)

4)Would you agree that the Professors in college, most of the time rarely practiced what they preached? Did your Business Administration professor own a lot of successful businesses? Was your Art Teacher a famous artist? Was your Theater teacher a famous actor/actress?

Amazingly enough, Mr. Sheets and others like him, whether their programs are good or not, have made hundreds of thousands to millions in the Real Estate business. From their experience, they have created seminars and courses that explain what they did. They have experience in their field, and are using their marketing savvy to sell it to others. It is your decision to spend the money or not spend the money on their courses. I start questioning some of these courses when the numbers start getting up in the thousands, but for a couple of hundred bucks, is it worth the attempt to gain some knowledge? How much did college cost? Did it give you your return on investment? Could you look at these courses the same way…?

5)Have you read “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill? I have gained more information from this one piece of literature than I gained in my years where I ATTENDED college.

Basically, my point is that educated opinions are fine, but they should be just that: EDUCATED, and OPINIONS. We are all here to learn one thing or another, and tearing people apart is never the correct answer. I, for one, have purchased the Carlton Sheets Program, and even though I do not agree with a lot of the things he says, and personally would not pay the thousands of dollars he wants for his mentorship, I can say that he helped me get my start in Real Estate, and if it wasn’t for that early morning infomercial, I would not have even considered it.

Lastly, (whew!) I will end with a quote I have always cherished:

“Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one…”

Malcolm Forbes (I believe he never graduated either…)

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on December 27, 1998 at 20:26:18:

One of my favorite quotes is: Those that can, do. Those that can’t, teach. And those that can’t teach, become administrators. :wink: - Rich