Bush's Tax Proposal..... - Posted by RERookie

Posted by Hank on January 08, 2003 at 16:07:36:

I could be wrong, but for tax bills like this, Bush will not need 60 votes for cloture.

If I’m right 51 will do.

But there’s three other things I had to remeind myself of:

Sen. McCain

Sen. Snow

Sen. Chafee

This may not be a lock after all.

Bush’s Tax Proposal… - Posted by RERookie

Posted by RERookie on January 06, 2003 at 10:50:04:

I don’t know if this is old news or not, but apparently sometime today President Bush will propose wiping out the taxes shareholders pay on dividends.

I just wondered what people here thought about that and how it could affect how some of us with corporations do business.

Thanks,

RERookie

It could be dramatic… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on January 06, 2003 at 13:31:25:

But it Ain’t gonna happen, as proposed.

Something that I adopted a long time ago is, never spend time posturing over what Politicians “might” propose or pass. If you do, you will resemble the tiger that turned to butter in the little black sambo stories…

So what is going to happen…? I don’t know, but I will be able to tell you the minute it passes, and quickly thereafter have adopted a winning strategy to take advantage of the new law/policy change… but not before.

Of course, I would love to be wrong here, but I doubt it… There will be major knashing of political teeth over this proposal, IMHO.

Just the way that I view things…

JT-IN

51 votes not 60 - Posted by Hank

Posted by Hank on January 07, 2003 at 15:26:30:

That’s what I had to remind myself today.

The house shouldn’t be a problem.

When it comes to budgetary bills in the Senate all the Prez needs is 51 votes.

Earlier in the day I was thinking like you because I thought Bush needed 60 votes for cloture.

This dividend thing should prove interesting.

How much can one get out of a c-corp (in the form of dividends) w/out IRS saying it should come out as salary?

Sometimes 60, not 51 - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 08, 2003 at 08:10:51:

60 votes are needed to break a fillibuster. Stupid rule.

John Hyre