Building on Islands - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by Kathi on June 11, 2003 at 10:54:21:

A friend of mine recently baught an island. He uses a small old barge to haul supplies So far he has built at least three small cottages.

Building on Islands - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on June 10, 2003 at 10:23:28:

I am looking at a property on a small island, in a river, with ocean access. The small little problem with this property, is that it is only accessible by boat! This is not really a turn-off for me, in fact, it sounds pretty great for a retreat-type of property. There is no structure on this lot currently, though there are on the island, so electric has been run.

My questions are, does anyone have any experience with, or can anyone point to any information sources, on building on an island? The agent told me that a well drilled probably wouldn’t be potable water, so I would need to find out about water collection or purification systems, and of course, how the heck I would get something built on the island in the first place. I guess(?) a pre-built, or manufactured home, would be out? Lot’s of obstacles, but like I said, it’s cheap, and on the water, and it might be an interesting project. If anyone has any insights, please let me know.

flood level on flat islands is - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on June 10, 2003 at 12:57:02:

usually a problem as building in flood zone is restricted or not permitted in certain juridictions.

Building in flood zones requires many permits and engineering, if you are in the US. FEMA has juridiction in all 50 states.

Re: Building on Islands - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on June 10, 2003 at 12:24:07:

Around here we just wait for January and drive out with a dump truck over the ice. You can deliver building materials, whatever you like.

I guess that won’t work for you in Florida.

We also have no problem with fresh water as the lakes and rivers are all fresh.

Have you seriously considered what will happen to that island in a hurricane? How high is it out of the water? Were there ever any buildings on it before? It seems unlikely that no one ever built on it. What happened to the last guy’s house?

Re: Building on Islands - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on June 11, 2003 at 07:49:15:

I haven’t been out there yet, but the agent told me there are other structures on the island. I think she said they were stilt-type houses, which makes sense. That would be fine by me, I just don’t know how they’d get all the building materials out there to do it. Sounds expensive.