Breaking the ice? - Posted by DaveKD (MA)

Posted by DaveKD on February 10, 2006 at 09:38:48:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I am ready to hit some parks!

Breaking the ice? - Posted by DaveKD (MA)

Posted by DaveKD (MA) on February 09, 2006 at 14:53:06:

Read both of Lonnie’s books, I have two sets of business cards and listings of local parks that I want to visit. My question is does at help at all to send some kind of a letter to these parks and follow up with a call and a visit or some combination or have you had the most success with just dropping in. Some of these places I will go to are an hours drive so I want to make the right move. Thanks!!

Re: Breaking the ice? - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on February 12, 2006 at 12:19:02:

I have found that using the Goodyear Blimp as an advertising vehicle works well, I simply hire the blimp to do a flyby on my targeted parks with my business card info displayed on the messageboard, bet Lonnie didn’t think of that one!

Re: Breaking the ice? - Posted by Bobbie

Posted by Bobbie on February 09, 2006 at 23:21:53:

Hi Dave!
You are definitely on the right track. Reading Lonnie’s books.
I’m new, started in August 2005. So far, following Lonnie’s method, we have purchased 5 mobiles. We have only worked one park so far.
I simply stopped in to speak to the park manager. Asked if they allow people to buy and sell trailers in the park. Did a lot of informal chatting. Was not a threat to manager. Actually I acted a lot “greener” than I was – Is that possible?? After chatting for a little bit, I also mentioned my referral fees. Manager’s eyes light up like light bulbs and before I knew it, I was off and running.
My suggestion is go in very casual, be honest, ask questions and LISTEN carefully. Let the manager set the pace.
My opinion isn’t worth much at this point because I’m still very green and UNseasoned. Follow Lonnie’s advise and the great seasoned posters on this board. Drive the parks and look for FSBO signs, call and visit as many trailers and you can. Never hurts to be a lookie-lou – great way to gain knowledge.

Above all, stay off the couch, keep moving and have fun.

Happy day,
Bobbie

Re: Breaking the ice? - Posted by Todd (AZ)

Posted by Todd (AZ) on February 09, 2006 at 16:27:51:

Keep it friendly and informal Dave. A letter may make you look TOO professional. Go in with a happy, positive, relaxed demeanor and you should be off and running. Todd (AZ)

Re: Breaking the ice? - Posted by Marty (MO)

Posted by Marty (MO) on February 09, 2006 at 15:29:00:

around here, this is a pretty informal process… I’d just stop in and say, “How you all are?” If you like to b.s., you’ll go far!

good luck,

Marty