Bill Gatten or all others, help... - Posted by Fran CA

Posted by Fran CA on June 20, 2001 at 17:26:53:

Thank you Jim for the information. That really helps. I guess that I will spend some time at each of those places and see what crops up.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Fran

Bill Gatten or all others, help… - Posted by Fran CA

Posted by Fran CA on June 20, 2001 at 11:35:00:

I have some questions on where to find motivated sellers? In a post I read you mentioned that you can find them from Bankruptcy Records, Unlawful Detainer Records, Divorce action records, Foreclosure records, tax lien records, delinquent property tax records, zoning and building code violation records, For Rent ads, For Lease Ads, Lease Option ads, For Sale by Owner ads, abandoned properties, neglected properties, vacant properties, run-down properties, real estate listings and expired listings and garage sale ads that mention moving.

1. Where do you find Bankruptcy Records?

2. Where do you find Unlawful Detainer Records?

3. Where do you find Divorce Action Records?

4. Where do you find zoning and building code violation records?

5. Can you really find deals on expired listings if they are mostly non-existent in your area?

I have been trying to find out places to go, people to see and what to do when I get there. Most of the items you mentioned I have found the information that I was looking for, but the ones listed above have me at a loss. Your help and insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Fran

Too many ways - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on June 21, 2001 at 08:39:22:

Fran,

You run the gamet from junkers to pretty houses in your questions. I suspect you have not taken to many seminars. Keep reading here on the various avenues but eventually try to concentrate in one area. Building code violations will find you rehab property. Not best for beginners. Evictions, bankruptcy, divorce may find motivated sellers but the situation can most anything. Fsbos are all situations too. Buy a course or take a seminar on the area that you feel comfortable with. Most will have how to prospect and then what to do then.

Since you addressed Bill Gatten I will comment on his approach. While it works with all types of houses it is just a better way of doing lease options or subject to houses. It has many ways to propsect. I personally find it better than the others when approaching the pretty house market and easier to present to less motivated sellers. Investing is in reality how much you put into it.

Re: Bill Gatten or all others, help… - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on June 20, 2001 at 15:14:40:

Fran-CA-------

1–BK. At the nearby US Bankruptcy court. If there is a legal paper in your area, they may abstract the records and publish them. Check at the law library to find out if there is a legal paper in your area.
It is good you put in your state. It would help to anwer your questions if you put in your city, too. I am in Oakland, CA.

2.Either municipal court or small claims court.

3.Superior Court

1. You will find some in the county recorders records. Look under the city and county names. You will find condemned properties. You should call the “code enforement” office of the local planning department – city or county or both. Sometimes it is under community development or permits.

2. If there are zero, how could you? If there are close to zero, I would seriously doubt it. I can’t answer this question from personal experience.

Good Investing and Good InvestigatingRon Starr****

Re: Bill Gatten or all others, help… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on June 20, 2001 at 15:13:57:

Fran,
Alright, I’ll take a stab at this, but remember, not all areas call these places by the same name.

“1. Where do you find Bankruptcy Records?”
Federal court clerks office for your area. Whatever Federal court district you are in, this is where the BK filings are heard, and as such, the case is filed with the court clerk for this court. They keep and maintain the files for this case, and you can view it with a “Freedom of information Request” as per the law. The Clerk may even have their own form for you to fill out in order to view these files.

“2. Where do you find Unlawful Detainer Records?”
Same as above, but different court. In my area, this is handled by the Circuit Court, or County Court (sometimes this is the same thing).
The evictions are filed with the county court clerks office, and you can view the files there. You may have to learn their system somewhat to get what you need. Some counties have an actual list of pending evictions, and others will not. Mine does not.
I just go to the court clerks office, and look at a terminal with the file date base on it, look up the court case numbers for the 100 most recently filed evictions or so, and then fill out a request to see them all. It takes me time, but EVERY TIME I’ve done it, I’ve gotten a deal.

“3. Where do you find Divorce Action Records?”
Same as above. County Court clerks office.
Divorce is filed there for county judges to hear the case.

“4. Where do you find zoning and building code violation records?”
This would deppend on where the home is located. If it is within a city, then the city usually has there own code enforcement division and court.
And in some areas, they do not, the county handles this.
As for homes located outside of incorporated areas, the county or state handles them, so they’d have that info.

“5. Can you really find deals on expired listings if they are mostly non-existent in your area?”
That depends on how you market to them. Surely if you send out 50,000 letters to expireds, you will get a response at least. Whether you get a deal or not is really dependent on each case, since they are all different.

I hope this helps a little,
Jim IL

Not enough - Posted by Fran CA

Posted by Fran CA on June 21, 2001 at 10:22:47:

The reason that I am looking at all areas is that we are trying to find what works in our area. We currently have a house that we are buying that needs rehab. We want to know this business well and then decide what works in our area. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and housing is completely different here from most of the country. $100K and below houses don’t exist here unless you go into the war zones.

We have bought several courses from LeGrand to Bronchick as well as a lot of different books that pertain to real estate. We attended the CRE convention in April and got a wealth of information. This site has been inspirational and motivated us not to give up.

With that said, I just want you to know that I appreciate your advice, but we are still trying to find our niche in the REI world.

Re: Bill Gatten or all others, help… - Posted by Fran CA

Posted by Fran CA on June 20, 2001 at 17:30:09:

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the information. I am located in Pleasanton. I am sure that you know the city as you have been talking to Tony (my other half). I really appreciate the time you have taken answering my questions as well as providing good information in your posts that I read daily.

Thank you again.
Fran