Big problem with vandalism...Ideas please - Posted by Mike

Re: Big problem with vandalism…Ideas please - Posted by Julius Levai

Posted by Julius Levai on November 21, 2001 at 02:53:05:

Thank You Officer for your answer. My last question is; Why in the good ol` USA the crime rate is about 100 times higher then any other “civilized” country out there ? I will never get used to this big number. Thanks again ! Julius Levai

Re: Here’s my interpretation - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on November 19, 2001 at 24:26:15:

I had a guy breaking into a rehab and living there a few years ago and i posed this idea of “just happened to be there with a gun” to the cops to see what info i would get. They told me “don’t even think about it”. I got the same information as Bill gave below…if it’s your residence it’s o.k. but otherwise you’re laying in wait and could get into big trouble. It would seem that its your place and you can stay with a gun if you want to, but thats not the law.

Re: Big problem with vandalism…Ideas please - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on November 18, 2001 at 08:22:01:

Here is the legal definition of lying in wait:

LYING IN WAIT - Being in ambush for the purpose of murdering or harming another. A waiting and watching for an opportune time to act, together with a concealment by ambush or some other secret design to take the other person by surprise. The lying in wait need not continue for any particular period of time provided that its duration is such as to show a state of mind equivalent to premeditation or deliberation.

Lying in wait is evidence of deliberation, malice and intention and so is often used as a special circumstance to enhance sentencing in criminal cases.

Posted by Bill on November 17, 2001 at 23:22:05:

There is a big difference between defending your home or business and defending a fixer house. Laying in wait in a situation like that with a weapon is against the law in all 50 states.

If you shoot and kill someone in a situation like that, even accidently, you will be held accountable.

Different story if its your house or place of business.

My point in the previous post was that it was extremly dangerous for you to lay in wait like that. You dont know if the people breaking in are armed or dangerous or both. You fire over their heads and they fire at you, possibly hitting you.

Not worth it as far as Im concerned.

Re: Big problem with vandalism…Ideas please - Posted by agurley

Posted by agurley on November 21, 2001 at 03:29:34:

I agree whole heartedly but hope you are’nt doing the simple thing and pointing the finger at the police. The problem is based with society as a whole and this is probably not the proper forum to discuss this issue. I guess all that we can do is watch our little neck of the woods, and hope everyone else is doing the same. With freedom comes responsibilty, and our increasing crime rate is an example of decreasing responsibilty.

Re: Big problem with vandalism…Ideas please - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on November 19, 2001 at 01:11:55:

Bill---------------

NC–Paul’s acquaintance does not sound like he falls under the definition you provide: “for the purpose of murdering or harming another.” Doesn’t sound like that was his purpose.

However, I sure agree with you. I won’t add this one to my inventory of investment techniques. And won’t recommend it to others.

Good InvestingRon Starrr***

Re: Big problem with vandalism…Ideas please - Posted by Kent

Posted by Kent on November 18, 2001 at 03:44:25:

In Oklahoma people pretty much believe in guns. A few years ago when I asked the Sherrif about the legalities of shooting a would be burglar in Oklahoma he told me to “Wait til they are half way through the window, shoot to kill, drag 'em all the way in and shoot 'em again for good measure. As long as I see you have shot them at least once in your house and they are laying inside, I wont ask any questions…”

Dont get started on the legalities here it is just a quote …grin. Its hard to appreciate morbid humor or the idea of shooting people…until you have had your property defiled by theives.

Kent

Re: Big problem with vandalism…Ideas please - Posted by Julius Levai

Posted by Julius Levai on November 21, 2001 at 11:50:18:

You guys (girls) doing an outstanding work, my hat is off for you…(I don`t have one, just kidding). Thanks again and enjoy the well deserved holiday-season, and I mean it !! Julius Levai

Posted by Bill on November 18, 2001 at 08:13:20:

Kent, I understand the law and Im sure the Sheriff was talking about defending your personal residence or place of business.

Where it legally gets pretty sticky and dangerous is when you are lying in wait at a rehab.

Thats what we pay cops to do.