Beliefs - Posted by John Behle

Posted by Ryan Monti on December 05, 1998 at 22:22:32:

Folks,

Whenever I hear people talk about the weight of Education in success, I think about all those millionaire PHD holders.

I also think about the passive lion story. Where a lion on the African savana is passive toward the other animals, and would never want to hurt nor kill for food, any other animal.

Within the Pride, the other lions tell the passive lion to hit the road, your not helping in the hunt, your eating our kill, so bugger off. If you don’t help in the hunt, you can’t partake in the feast.

The passive lion knows that he needs to change his way of thinking or he will need to leave the pride. He could find another pride on the savana, however he would likely be treated in the same fashion.

So the passive lion decides to help in the hunt, but he has never thought about killing another animal. Therefore he… well I guess you all know the rest of the story.

The passive lion’s over whelming drive for hunger as well as his education from the prides hunters, allow him to succeed and survive.

The meaning behind the story? Education is good, Experience is Good, 100% Drive (i.e. This is what I’m thinking about all day, my hunger reminds me every waking hour) is an absolute requirement.

Beliefs - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on November 28, 1998 at 12:28:15:

I notice so many posts on this board that are either extremely skeptical of everything or “believing” of everything.

Sometimes there gets to be battles over it. I found the following quote that we might consider.

“There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking.” - Alfred Korzybski

The most common post is “Does the Carleton Sheets program work?” A quick reading of the newsgroup leads to dozens of posts on the exact subject. Those who haven’t succeeded at something sometimes argue with those who have over whether it is possible.

I’m not arguing for or against Carelton Sheets (I haven’t taken the course), just pointing something out. In twenty years of training people, including some of the Sheets coaches, I worry about the very basis of the questions.

No offense, but there is something that doesn’t work about the premise of looking for evidence as to why something will or won’t work. That mindset is the source of the problem.

No course teaches you everything, few will ever teach nothing. I believe my success has been directly proportional to my education. When I began 20 years ago, I took some courses as much as 7 times. I looked for new courses. I flew to where they were and read all they wrote.

You won’t go wrong spending a little for a course or a new idea. If you believe the pitches, that someone will teach you all you will ever need to know or make you successful, that is the root of the current “Scarcity” in your life.

If the price of the course leads you to believe it must be better or more comprehensive because it is more expensive - that is a flaw. The very part of you that is drawn to the “we can do it for you” pitch is the part that stands in your way of success.

Some of my best and most profitable ideas have come out of a lunch with someone. Sometimes a $10 book has radically shaped my entire philosphy or direction. Yet, I have spent tens of thousands on education. I don’t regret a dime - especially in the area of personal development. “Abundance and Prosperity” has 99% to do with your inner beliefs, not education or circumstances. Actually, I could prove to you that it is 100%, but we’d need to be in a classroom.

It is about internal drive, motivation and most importantly “Intention”. Education is fabulous and very helpful and necessary, but useless without the drive.

Life and money are simple. It’s “Economic Alchemy”. You allow money into your life and create it to the very degree of your belief.

Re: Beliefs - Posted by Mike (STL)

Posted by Mike (STL) on November 29, 1998 at 02:47:20:

i agree. suggesstion…

buy and read “Success through a positive mental attitude” by Napolleon hill.

“Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve” – Napoleon Hill

Re: Beliefs - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on November 28, 1998 at 18:19:48:

John, As usual, you hit the mark.
I would like to see you post installed as a permanent item … under which category I cannot say.
I can only add that if folks will get out there and apply A FEW of the principles in Sheets or 'most any other reputable course, the momentum of their own success will probably propel them toward the next beacon of light.

Without that, information overload and analysis paralysis will set in and become terminal - until the next ‘silver bullet’ is advertised.
Again, thanks for your contribution.
Carol

Re: Beliefs - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on November 28, 1998 at 16:52:54:

Amen, John and Rob! Excellent posts! I would add just one thing: I am convinced, after 25 years of real estate activity both as an investor and as a broker, that there seems to be a physical limitation that contributes to lack of success along with ignorance (lack of education) and inexperience. That limitation, unfortunately, I don’t believe can be overcome as the other two can. To put it bluntly, it seems to me to be a personality defect: inability to focus on the goal (“bottom line”). I’ve seen hundreds of real estate buyers, including would be investors, pay too much, buy the wrong property, work with the wrong people (“crooks”), all of which set them back from achieving their goals. Yes, often it is because of lack of knowledge which can be remedied by a little education, but sometimes, I think, there is a fundamental inability to cut through the distractions and focus on the goals. It’s almost as if some people are unable to think for themselves. Sorry to be so negative. Perhaps someone will write a book on this subject sometime. --Eduardo

Re: Beliefs - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 28, 1998 at 13:29:09:

My opinion is this:

Education is the fundamental basic of all great success. The more education you have on a particular subject the more knowledgeable you will become in it. I have attended some type of class or schooling every year except one since I was 4 years old. I make it goal to eduacte myself constantly by attending at least 1 or 2 classes every year, and reading one NON-FICTION book on RE or success every month. Knowledge is power.

That said though, there is no education like actually getting out there and working your tail off doing some deals. It doesn’t matter if you read 100 books and take 20 classes/courses on RE, if you don’t actually get your feet wet and start doing deals you will just know the theory of it all. Take a look around, how many wealthy schoolteachers or college professors are there. Very few. As a matter of fact, I would probably not even listen to any teacher that is under say 30 years old. Why you ask? Because this person has minimal practical knowledge. More than likely all they really know is what they learned in college from classes and books. The real teacher you want is someone who has done what they teach in real life. Now if the teacher is young but has real practical experience than that is something different. This is not meant to knock teachers, but the truth is most of what they teach is second-hand information. I try to stop and ask myself, “Do I really want to be in this person’s situation when I am their age?” Ask this question about your teachers, boss, co-workers, etc. It always makes me look at people in a different light.

Happy Holidays to all.

Eduardo TWO books have been written… - Posted by Soapymac

Posted by Soapymac on November 30, 1998 at 13:21:40:

about the very thing you are looking for, in my humble opinion. (THAT open me up to a flame job!)

1. “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” by Robert Kiyosaki

2. “Positive Personality Profiles” by Dr. Robert A. Rohm

I believe both are available at Amazon.com

Cordially,

Soapymac

Education is simply a tool - nothing more - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on December 01, 1998 at 21:30:33:

Today I had lunch with an individual. This person was very educated and absolutely brilliant with a great educational background.
The reason for our lunch - he had quit a business venture and was “adrift”- AGAIN.
I asked him some questions and I found out that his problem was simple - he knew too much. When someone would ask him the time - he would give them the history of the watch.
People really don’t care how much you know. They want to know what you have to offer them. That is the basis of business and commerce the world over. I would like to offer my oft quoted creed :

"THERE is nothing in the world that will take the place of persistence.
Talent will not ; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not ; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not ; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

• Calvin Coolidge

Re: Eduardo TWO books have been written… - Posted by mike (STL)

Posted by mike (STL) on December 01, 1998 at 03:05:41:

if you are going to deal with people,
“Positive Personality Profiles” by Dr. Robert A. Rohm
is a must!

the book has helped me in so many ways. the bedtime
story of the high D child has helped me many nights :slight_smile:

he also has a tape series.

mike

Re: Education is simply a tool - nothing more - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 01, 1998 at 22:04:44:

My point exactly, there are 2 types of education. (1) Education that you get from books, tapes, courses, classes, newsgroups like this. And (2) Education that you get from actually getting dirty and making things happen.

It is important to get educated in the classroom but if you don’t apply the stuff to real life situations then all you know is the theory and not the reality.

I know firsthand that you can read 10 books on how to buy, rehab, and sell a house. But no book can educate as much as actually doing it.

Best Wishes.