BBB, join or not? - Posted by Nathan(oh)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on January 08, 2002 at 21:27:17:

Sorry Ron :slight_smile:

Does not mean I think it is worth it for everyone, just means I had luck with it.

I do know it added credability in those cases.

But I did get your point that you posted above if that helps anything.

Terry (Houston)

BBB, join or not? - Posted by Nathan(oh)

Posted by Nathan(oh) on January 08, 2002 at 11:35:06:

I got a call from the BBB and they want to set up a meeting with me to do the whole application thing and I wanted to see if any of you have done this and consider it a good idea or not?

Thanks,

Nathan

Re: BBB, join or not? - Posted by Rodrigo Rodrigues

Posted by Rodrigo Rodrigues on January 08, 2002 at 13:40:11:

if your(you) company are honest towards the customer… why not join?

Biggest scam going, and . . . join - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on January 08, 2002 at 19:58:19:

The BBB is the BIGGEST SCAM going. They don’t check anyone out BEFORE taking membership and money. If someone complains, then the BBB makes a file. You don’t need to be a member to have a good rep (or bad one).

Having said this, BEING a member is something you can say to other people, which adds credibility. Most people don’t know any better!

Just another bill…nt - Posted by Nathan(oh)

Posted by Nathan(oh) on January 08, 2002 at 14:01:17:

nt

People love it when you are w/ BBB - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on January 08, 2002 at 14:05:20:

It does add credibility to your company when you’re a member of the BBB. If you were a SCAM ARTIST - you probably wouldn’t be - right? Just gives the over cautious a reason to say YES and may win you an extra deal or two over the years.

Probably worth the bill. If not now - eventually.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Heidi

Re: I agree with you - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on January 09, 2002 at 19:54:39:

The general public’s perception of the BBB is good. I always thought that way until i looked into it and talked to members. Now i think its a joke. But i think it would only enhance your image with the public.

And you had best be at the convention!

David

Crooks love BBB - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on January 08, 2002 at 22:24:00:

All the scam artists join the BBB. Right off the bat it gets them instant credibility with no qualifying or anything. Then, the BBB is very slow to criticise a member. They will hush things up before they see a member get in trouble. This only goes so far but it’s handy while it lasts.

Re: People love it when you are w/ BBB - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on January 08, 2002 at 17:52:34:

Heidi,

Nathan asked about BBB in regard to REI.

Is your answer based on any RE experience or just your guess? For example, are you a member of BBB and what evidence do you have that your buyers or sellers have been impressed by it.

I personally have always thought that it would be a waste of my time and money, but you may have more experience here.

Please share some specifics/substance.

Thx.

Ron Guy

It’s a joke. - Posted by JM

Posted by JM on January 08, 2002 at 16:52:14:

It’s the BBB that’s a scam. If someone files a complaint against you, all you have to do is answer it and it won’t go on your record.

All for $300/yr.

Re: People love it when you are w/ BBB - Posted by Rodrigo Rodrigues

Posted by Rodrigo Rodrigues on January 08, 2002 at 14:14:03:

it does add credibility, but what if 2 or 3 of your t/buyers change their minds and want their nrdf back…
who they gonna call?
bbb
you have a point , join or not join?

Be careful - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 08, 2002 at 20:45:45:

Heidi seems to do a lot of talking with minimal, if any, experience in real estate. I’d be very leary of anything she says until she can prove some experience.

Re: People love it when you are w/ BBB - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on January 08, 2002 at 18:26:25:

A partner I work with on deals is a member of the BBB. It is strange but I had 3 deals in a row where it did make all the difference in the world.

They flat told me they would not have done a transaction with me if it was not for the BBB. Not sure what comfort level they had but heck it worked.

This was right after news hit that an investor was taking the house at a foreclosure auction from a little old lady. Things were a little tough then.

Anyway one of the deals made us $24,000 in about 21 days. The other two turned into about $15,000 each.

I have not joined since I can use my partners but it did not hurt me any.

Terry (Houston)

Exactly - Posted by Nathan(oh)

Posted by Nathan(oh) on January 08, 2002 at 14:40:03:

With the pressure of the BBB, I would be forced to give deposits back. I don’t mind joining them, because it does add credibility, but it puts you at the mercy and scrutiny of the public eye. Cost is about $300/yearly.

Ron’s Right… - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on January 09, 2002 at 24:10:34:

I keep forgetting to preface all my comments with…

I have little experience, but based on what I’ve heard…

In this case - I had just listened to Ron LeGrand say, “People love it when you’re in the BBB, don’t know why, but…”

I’ll try to read more and answer less (until I get more experience). I am actively engaged in getting my business up and running however - so it won’t be long.

However, considering how many times I’ve been slammed on this board - I think I’ll pass on the convention - this year.

Heidi

Re: Be careful - Posted by Ron (DM)

Posted by Ron (DM) on January 08, 2002 at 21:19:50:

Rob,

Actually, that was the not-too-subtle purpose of my pointed follow-up questions to her.

Fortunately, a couple others who actually knew what they were talking about also responded to the original questions. No harm done.

Ron Guy

Re: Exactly - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 08, 2002 at 22:44:56:

It doesn’t matter whether you’re a member or not! If someone calls them to file a complaint you will be notified by them. There is no pressure by them because they have nothing to put pressure on you with!

If you’re a member it has no effect as to how they handle a complaint against you if you weren’t a member. If they recieve a complaint the BBB sends a copy of the complaint to you. They ask you to respond and give your side and whether you will try to resolve it or not, and what you’re willing to do to resolve the matter.

If you ignor the complaint they will follow up with a second request. They will tell you if you ignor the complaint it will go against you. That means if someone else ever calls the BBB to see if you had any complaints they will tell the consumer how many unresolved complaints you have had. That’s about it!

If you respond to the complaint they it doesn’t go against you whether you were able to resolve the matter with the consumer or not. Basically, all you need to do is respond with your side of the story and that ends it with the BBB. They have no authority to force you to do anything. They are not a non-profit organization. They are in business to make a profit like any other business!

One of things you need to be careful on is what they will require of you as a member. Some, if not all BBB offices will now require you to go through their own arbitration. Meaning, if you can’t resolve the complaint then you agree to have one of their arbitrators have a hearing on the matter between you and the plantiff. As a member you agree to be bound by whatever the arbitrator decides, whether you agree or not!

ME? I would never agree to such thing because it is highly unlikely any of their arbitrators would be qualified to rule on such a matter! Unless of course, the arbitrator was well versed in real estate law and had first hand experience and knowledge about the type of deals you do! I doubt it!

I use to be a member through one of the businesses I owned. When they changed their rules about a member having to agree to use their arbitrator and be bound by their decision, I refused to renew my membership! I would rather take my chances before a Judge in court!

If you’re not a member and you can’t resolve the complaint with the plantiff, the BBB will offer you the opportuntity to have an arbitrator hear both sides and decide what will be done about it. They charge about $300 for it! Now WHY would anyone want to pay $300 for that when it costs a lot less to file a suit in court??? Oh, and the plantiff doesn’t pay the $300, the business does, regardless of the out come!

I had a complaint through them and they wanted me to pay $300 for an arbitrator over an $80 item! LOL

I told them to blow off and the plantiff is welcome to take it to small claims court. That only cost about $40 to file and unless I was to lose the case, the plantiff pays for it!

BTW, I sent documented proof that proved I wasn’t at fault and the BBB ignored it and still tried to get me to agree to pay $300 to have an arbitrator decide over it! Not only did they not care about the proof and the business, but they didn’t care about the consumer with trying to help them get the matter resolved either! They only cared about trying to make a buck of the complaint! The BBB is a BIG JOKE!

PS

This was an issue of responsibility as to whether it was the fault of the customer, the business, or the manufacturer. The BBB didn’t involve the manufacturer, so I responded saying that I would agree to an arbitrator IF they got the manufacturer involved. Then who ever was at fault agrees to pay the customer and the $300 fee! The customer was to be left out of having to pay because they were not at fault! It WAS a manufacturer problem. Did the BBB follow up with that? NOPE!!! Never heard back from them after that!

The problem is the general public know nothing about the BBB and think it’s to protect them and that they will resolve their complaints! The truth is, they don’t know what they don’t know! Many are fooled by the fact a business is a member! They “think” just because you’re a member then you must be a reputable business. Nothing can be further from the truth! With the exception of maybe having to be reputable when you first join as a member and have been in business for one or two years with no prior complaints filed against you!

I wouldn’t waste my money on them!

What I would like to know, is where does one file a complaint about the BBB??? LOL

Re: Ron’s Right… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 09, 2002 at 24:27:48:

Passing on the convention would be a big mistake on your part, especially over any posts made on this board. Don’t cheat yourself! You are just getting started and the convention would benefit you more than those that have more experience. This convention could jumpstart your investing in more ways than you could possibly know! YOU NEED THE CONVENTION MORE!!!

What if I were to tell you that if you don’t go to the convention because of something so silly as the reason your giving here, then I’m going to put on my slamming hat and slam you every chance I get until the next convention??? Would that help? :slight_smile: